Basement stair: are 8" riser, 9" tread OK?

Page 2 of 2
Wayne Whitney wrote:

The treads are made of 1" plywood. I once asked a contractor to replace the treads with hardwood. He basically said he could do it w/o destroying the stair. He suggested to use carpet instead. I presume adding carpet will also change risersize at the top and bottom.
homeowner wrote:

One would <hope> that the design/installation incorporated the intended flooring at the bottom and top and the tread covering to compensate. That a speculative-built house wouldn't have done so is certainly within easy belief.

That doesn't mean they met code (obviously)...
Probably w/ plywood it was intended for a thin carpet to be laid on them.
Probably can get by w/ the laminate although may need to adjust the upper floor landing. I'd probably just make a solid nosing and fasten it solidly to the front of the tread.
Duane Bozarth wrote: ...

I meant to add that unless the mismatch is really noticeable enough that you see people actually mis-stepping, the exact compliance to code is pretty much a non-issue until/unless one of two events (both fairly remote, but possible)--
1. You get ready to sell and the buyer has a lender w/ a persnickety inspector who notes the discrepancy. You would normally end up taking some financial hit to compensate for the fix or choose to repair it at the time on your own, or
2. Somebody actually does trip/fall, gets injured and sues...might become a liability issue w/ an insurance company if did work and didn't comply.
The likelihood of either is, as noted, relatively remote in a borderline case--if it ends up being quite a bit out, it will probably be obvious there's a problem that should be addressed...otherwise, your call.
On 2005-03-02, manhattan42 wrote:

Does this apply separately to the top and bottom corner of a tread, or does this imply that a tread must be no more that 1 1/8" thick?
Thanks, Wayne
Wayne Whitney Wrote:

Neither. It just means that the curvature of the nosing can be made by a radiu no greater than 9/16"
-- manhattan4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=4 View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/showthread.php?tu73 This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or
On 2005-03-02, manhattan42 wrote:

Let me try again. If this requirement applies to the nosing as a whole, then the nosing radius can't be more than 9/16", so the diameter can't be more than 2 * 9/16" = 1 1/8", i.e. the thickness of the nosing can't be more than 1 1/8". That seems like a very odd requirement, so I assume that the "radius of curvature" requirement just applies to the top and bottom corners of the nosing profile separately?
Cheers, Wayne
Wayne Whitney Wrote:

Correct. But this is not odd because most manufactured treads are 1 1/8" thic or less
-- manhattan4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=4 View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/showthread.php?tu73 This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

I would think that there is no need to wrap the underside of the rough tread nose. In that case you would need a corner trim with an inside depth of 1" (outside depth of 1 5/16" if the laminate is 5/16" thick).
Cheers, Wayne
basements are not primary living space & therefore do not apply to general access & evacuation codes. a freaking ladder might work just fine for you.
--
Be cool,
Longshot
longshot Wrote:

Completely untrue. Any permanent stairway between floors in a house is subject to th building code regardless of use
-- manhattan4 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- manhattan42's Profile: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=4 View this thread: http://homerepairforums.org/forums/showthread.php?tu73 This post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or
Wayne Whitney wrote:

Walking up from the bottom of staircase, I will be able to see the underside of the noses. That is why I need to wrap that part.
Corner trims are not T&G like laminate boards, so the trims will have to sit on top of the laminate tread noses to avoid seams.