basement smell after water damage

My wife and I ended up getting water in our basement twice this season because the sump pump couldn't run with a power outage during heavy rains. Only about .25" of rain, but enough to cover the whole basement.
we threw most of what got wet out. But I recently realized we missed a few things. I threw them out and noticed there is a couple greenish looking marks on the concrete floor where the items sat. Kinda looks like it could've been drawn with a pen or crayon. Could this fungus of some kind.
I had the AC running and two dehumidifiers running nonstop. It's very cool and dry the last couple of days so I have the windows open in the basement. the smell isn't as bad but it's still there.
I am reading that I should use a mixture of bleach/water to clean the floor. My wife is eight months pregnant and we don't want those fumes. Is there something else that's safe or will simply airing it out do the trick of getting rid of all the smell?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Airing out alone will not help. The continuing smell indicates you still have active mold. i can't imagine that a 50/50 bleach/water solution would harm your baby in any way if you keep your wife out of the basement and use good ventilation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bleach is the ONLY way to get rid of mold. Also buy a small generator so you have pump power if you lose electricity.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Thank you. I did purchase a back up sump pump that runs on a marine battery. It also plugs in to recharge itself.
Is there a better solution available than bleach?
What about the wood foundation that supports the middle of the house and steps that got wet?
It's untreated 2x4's.
thank you all for your input!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
69strat wrote:

You have a real aversion to bleach. Was there some childhood episode we should know about?? :P
Really bleach is cool. Just DONT mix it with ammonia unless you want to evacuate the house.
--
Respectfully,


CL Gilbert
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
No tramatic thing. I just know it smells real nasty. I just figured it couldn't be good for a pregnant woman to breathe that crap in. Just being cautious. thanks.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
69strat wrote:

Yes, please send her out of the house for hour or two. Probably hospitals use bleach to clean there floors though. Just mix with water. it does not require full strength. There should be directions on the bottle. Go for the minimum.
--
Respectfully,


CL Gilbert
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
69strat wrote:

Bleach / water should be fine. You drink it every day anyway if you have city water. Send her to moms house for the day while you get up in the am and mop that thing fully. Pregnant women can be sensitive to smells, but chlorene is common and she may not be as sensitive to it.
Open Windows. Mop the basement with bleach and water. If you have sewer drains in the basement hit once more with bleach. Then hit it a third time with genuine Pine Sol. You will be ok.
Get a backup sump. Im sure you make enough in one day to buy one. And its going to take a days worth of work for you to clean the mess up.
--
Respectfully,


CL Gilbert
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The baby is topping off reserve power at this stage and far past development and the potential for impairment unless she drinks or snorts straight chlorine. Just vent the place really well. If you're really that concerned taht the stair horses are not drying properly you could raise them just enough to circulate air under them - 1/2". You be the judge on cribbing them if you still need to use them to access the b.ment. Otherwise, use an exterior door.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Had simular probelm of water in a wall. (cracked toilet flange). I poured straight bleach in the wall, turned on the exaust fan, and closed the door. Went back in there a day later, and it was fine.
Possiblly use a strong bleach mix, leave a fan in window as an exaust and go away for the weekend.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Better still.
use bleach, close all windows, go away as long as possible while the fumes float around to kill off any other spores. vent when you come back.
Anyone with a summer/winter home that is closed up/vacant for months knows this trick
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If she's pregnant, the further away from this kind of stuff the better - looks like you'll be doing this one, Chief - keep her away... ;-)
The mold smell can lead to dangerous air quality situations too so best get going with the bleach/water solution once you have the water problems under control. If you have windows in your basement, stick a fan at one end blowing OUT and open your other windows in the basement - otherwise, just leaving windows open without the proper assistance of a fan, will lead to a LONG hoping period. Most people turn the fans IN and you don't get near the ventilation doing that - you want it blowing OUT.
What would it take to seal the basement better and avoid having to purchase a generator for power outages? Pump motors are generally fairly heavy loads so I wouldn't rely on batteries - I'd be looking for a generator unless you can seal off your basement better. You DO have something growing, hence the smell so best get after it...
Regarding your untreated 2x4s - they need to be coated or they won't last long. A water sealer like Thompsons or primed and painted would do. Otherwise, the weather's going to ruin your investment.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.