Basement reno... replace old water supply line

Hi all

We are doing a basement reno and need to replace the old city water supply line which is currently running under the ceiling joists (perpendicular). We have to either run some sort of flexible pipe through the joists or figure out how bend copper to get them into the joists. This is all because of a ceiling height requirement where we are unable to have a dropped ceiling. Can't even spare a 1/2 inch because of code...

Are there any good options for flexible plastic supply lines now? What other things should I be considering?

Thanks Gary

Reply to
Gary

You can (fairly) easily pull 3/4" Type L soft copper tube thru bored holes in joists. Rent/beg/borrow/steal a rt angle drill for the job. Get slip-on foam insulation too, so you don't have condensation dripping on your new ceiling.

PEX plastic tubing is another option, but is not as readily available and the terminations are not familiar to DIY-ers.

One last point: In an older home, the water service line

*may* be in use as a grounding means. Not just the electric service panel, but as an equipment ground for boxes, recepts, etc. [It should be said that this use as equip ground is no longer permitted, but you abandon any such grounds at your peril.]

Ask the inspector for advice regarding bonding and grounding.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Can you put an elbow on it and move it to the wall where you can either move the wall out a bit or build a tiny soffit to cover it up. In other words, reroute it.

Reply to
PipeDown

Is there any disadvantage to using the soft copper tube vs solid? This is for a supply line (it does have a regulator on it set on max allowed).. As for grounding we are redoing the electrical (knob + tube, whole other issue) so a new ground is already planned.

This PEX stuff sounds interesting but I guess its pretty new. Is it worth getting a pro out to put it in? (On a big budget)

Thanks Gary

Reply to
Gary

The only place to reroute it would be to an outside concrete wall... That conjurs up fears of bursting water pipes in my head... Maybe this fear is unfounded?

Gary

Reply to
Gary

The soft copper is plenty strong. Type L is heavy wall .

Call around and see if any pros will install PEX. This job may be too small to bother with and could hold up the project.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Depends - I was going to suggest the same thing. Insulate it and you should be fine unless it gets really really cold where you are.

Reply to
No