Basement Remodel Code?

"cp" wrote

Matches my memory but may not be that exact number of inches. I remember it as 'suitable for a person of 4ft5in to be able to egress without having to drag any furniture over. A built in sort of window-seat was acceptable in

1972-4 in VA. There is also a memory of having to have that window-seat able to hold up to 300lbs or something like that. Window-seat could not be obstructed (like, used to hold a 70 gallon fish tank).

Oh! The window size obviously had to be big enough *and* on the other side, there had to be some way to get down savely to ground level. Since on the outside this window we adapted wasnt but a foot above ground level, it was not an issue. We couldnt have any plants though that would block egress. Inspector quibbled over the tulips but we won that one. We'd have lost had it been a rose bush I think?

Reply to
Cshenk

"Jeef" wrote

Grin, you get a buy-off on older constuction and there are special rules for

2nd floor and above.

How much remodeling is your brother thinking of? That will narrow down what's needed. BTW, being to 'code' is a big issue on house sales. I can not technically sell my house as a 4BR because the 4th one is an enclosed porch and isnt code spec for bedroom. Close but not quite. Issues are insulation and window type (plexiglass single pane) as well as the floor has to be raised 1 inch.

Reply to
Cshenk

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Grin, it does look funny. Its actually 2 separate issues there. 1 was the height and the 'other' was the load bearing as our window was high enough it couldnt count as an egress without the 'built in step' (window-seat in our case).

Think of it as a kid and his mother trying to escape. The kid is 4ft5in and the momma is pregnant with another one .

Reply to
Cshenk