Basement refinish, dealing with a support pole and drain stack

Here are some images:

How would you deal with the two obstructions? They are so close together, it pisses me off the builder didn't run the drain stack right next to the support pole.

I was planning on putting a bar in that area, but not sure the best way to incorporate all of this.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I though the column in my family room was bad enough, this is really a PITA.

Can you put the bar by the drain stack and use that? Would it be a major obstruction to box in both with a wall and use the wall as the back of the bar and sink? From the picture I see, it look like they may not line up 90 degrees tot he wall. If that is the case, perhaps a "wide" wall can incorporate part of the bar or a closet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Could you re-plumb the drain over to the support? Then box it all in, leaving some type of access to the cleanout. Tom

Reply to
tom

They are not 90 degress to the wall. The centers are approx 6" off from each other.

I was going to put the bar against the main wall, but you've definitely given me an idea to rearrange it a bit....

Take another look, I've added a virtual view of the poles boxed in together, as small as possible. It really blows away the view :-(

Reply to
Larry Bud

I don't know, can I do that? I mean, is that allowed? Could I have 4

90 degree turns to move it?
Reply to
Larry Bud

A plan view and some measurements would have been nice.

Build something like this:

Only with the shelves and toe-kicks, etc. going all the way around. Since you've got a convenient drain right there, you should obviously stick a small sink in. And a dehumidifier in the overhead.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

If it hasn't been drywalled in yet, why not? What fixture(s) does the drain service? Have you spoken with the builder? Tom

Reply to
tom

That could be a good solution, move it over next to the post. That would involve busting up the floor and redoing some soffit to maximize the benefit. You may be even able to move it to an outside wall. The post could even be removed with a properly engeneerd beam for the span and load. It may be worth looking into.

So, replace the beam with one that wont require the post, move the plumbing to an outside wall. Thats the ideal as far as space. Its also the most complicated and expensive option.

Reply to
No

Larry,

Perfect place for a water closet.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

It services the kitchen sink and dishwaher, a toilet, and the sink in the bathroom where the toilet is.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Put the bar there, but box it in in a way that the back can come off with screws in case you need to get to the stack. The law of evil house demons says you will someday. Perhaps the area between the poles could contain shallow shelves for glassware.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Use 45s. I would cut the horizontal section at a point near the support and remove the Wye entirely. Use two 45s to turn the vertical pipe from upstairs to the left to join a new Wye at the point near the support. At the bottom install a cleanout plug then two more 45s to make a short horizontal run to a wye with a cleanout plug installed facing up and the other branch connecting to the stack. The extra cleanouts at the turns will make sure you never have a clog you cannot get to. There are other possibilities also.

In any case, that drain stack will be handy for draining the bar sink. Use a Wye and P-Trap of course for that.

It looks like the support post ends at the bottom of a 2x4, in which case it can't be bearing that much load. It almost looks like it is just supporting the soffit that covers the pipes. If it goes all the way to a larger beam or floor joist then it is doing more than I can see. You should be able to move the support post closer to the drain if the former case is true. May need to sister up some more lumber to transfer the load to a new spot efficiently.

Reply to
PipeDown

thanks for the advice.

Optical illusion. The support post is connected to the beam. I just built the soffit around it.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I second the motion for incorporating it into the bar design. What comes to mind is a floor to ceiling cupboard type element at each end of the bar, like Goedjin suggested. One will cover the pipes, the other can be more functional.

Reply to
nlbauers

If you want it to feel open, maybe you could minimally box in each obstruction separately. Then, to give them a purpose you could install glass shelving (and maybe a base cabinet). Top it off with a small can light or similar above and you could have a beautiful bar look! Also, you could repeat this idea in the next "bay" over, between the nearest wall and the first pipe. Throw some wine glasses, scotch glasses and liquor bottles on there. Voila! You've got a feature for the room!

Reply to
StLouisSus

Folks, after some good advice here, I've come up with a plan for the drain stack and support.

What do you think?

original basement

virtual design.

Larry Bud

Looks like a good compromise!

Nice program too!

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

That sounds good to me except rather than building a solid wall, leave it open from the bar top to the ceiling, between the two pipes and put glass shelves between them to hold glasses, etc.

Reply to
Don