Basement problem

I have a cement basement floor that has never been sealed or painted. I am getting a white residue from time to time. Bleach does not get rid of it, so I'm figuring that maybe this is a mineral deposit? The basement has high humidity and is musty at times. Ideas?
I was wondering if applying a seal coat would elimate this.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I would get a dehumidifier and get all the moisture out of that basement. Then seal it with a specialty pain that will not allow water to seep through. You'll need to keep running that de-humidifier too.

work. you have to help minimize the water going to your foundation. start out with the downspouts, make sure they extend out from the wall about 6ft, the further the less water outside your foundation. and check the slope of your property, if it slopes to the house, thats bad. water just keeps going in your foundation wall and thats whats keeping it damp. same thing if theres a hill, water cascades down to you. is your sump pump covered?
No its effloresence from outside moisture. Muriatic acid will remove it. But its dangerous,unless you take all precautions. Get a dehumidifier first. Lower humidit to 55% Then tackle it.
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:04:37 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote:

yah, i know that its efflorescence from that stagnant water presence from the outside sipping through that wall. if that water drains faster or producing less pressure for it to sip into that walln that efflorescence would not be there. dont you think so?