Basement mold problem

Hi!
We're new to the Eastern U.S.-originally from Southern California where basements don't exist. We've encountered an issue with mold in the basement. We have a 1970s home with large, full height basement. It's cinderblock, unfinished, with about 6 1' tall x 2' wide windows above grade and the south side is partially exposed with door leading out.
Since summer hit, mold is growing rampantly on the items we have stored there-it seems to particularly like leather, but attacks many other surfaces as well. Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the mold? We know that we have a bit of a drainage issue and will be doing some landscape grading to slope the earth away from the house better, but beyond that, we'd really like to use the space for storage, workshop, etc...so are hoping to fix the problem if it's fixable.
We've looked at products like Dry Lock-anyone have experience with that product for this type of application? Or is there a better fix????
Thanks! Diana
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Alot of basements have moisture problems without any visible signs of water . you need to lower the humidity and keep it below 55- 60% so mold wont grow . A dehumidifier would be the easiest and best way to start. getting air circulation from your ac system may help also. Mold can only be killed by bleach but will damage leather. UGL dry lock, can reduce water infiltration , but you will still be humid and need to address outside problems as well. If you use UGL bleach you walls first to kill the mold . Start with a dehumidifier to control the humidity, then take on each issue.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Diana,
With all the rain we had this summer in the northeast - a dehumidifier is an absolute must - dry out the air and you've stopped the cause of your problem. Throw away the stuff that was ruined, and use a mild water/bleach mixture to kill existing mold/mildew on surfaces as necessary...
Good luck,
K.

basement.
south
surfaces
the
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Candice ,, lower the moisture and you will stop the mold................
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

basement.
south
Welcome to mold hell. There are times I miss the old slabs in Palm Springs too...but, we had mold issues there too...everyone did.

surfaces
the
Depends on what color mold you have. If its black, and and tarry looking, you will need to contact a professional as that might be stachybotrys mold and that is what you want to advoid. Any bleach you use, in order for it to actually work, will ruin most cloth or leather items.

Depending on things we cant see on the net, there are several fixes...a dehumidifier is one...however, if you have central AC, you have a huge dehumidifier right there that can possibly be used. UV-C band lamps will help there as well, since most every home in the south has SOME form of mold in the air... DryLock will work, to an extent. Solving the water issue will be your first priority. Keep in mind, that 55% RH is considered to be perfect..and its hard to get here. You can do wonders with simple air movement. As little as one air change per hour will reduce mold greatly, even with 75% RH. Mold has become the #1 issue in the HVAC world, and you are a prime example why...its a big issue...and a big concern, and not enough out there that understand it.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.