basement leveling

can I level my basement with leveling grout? Can I just fill in the basement drain?

Reply to
william

There is a product called self-levelling cement. It's quite liquid when mixed properly and will spread-out like pancake batter and self-level itself. Available at HomeDepot I think.

As far as the basement drain goes..It's intended to provide drainage under the concrete floor to the gravel level underneath the concrete in case your hotwater tank or other water devices burst a big water leak. If you fill-it in with cement or grout and block it..you'll be sorry if you flood your basement for whatever reason...your insurance adjuster will see this in a heartbeat and deny an insurance claim on that basis.

Reply to
bluelagoon

Why do you think you need to level your basement? - Carpet will go over an uneven surface just fine - Tile will go over a somewhat eneven surface too, if done with care - Wood floors on sleepers will go over an uneven or out of level floor just fine - a floating, laminate floor, will go over an un-level floor just fine as long as its generally flat.

Why would you think you would want to fill in a basement drain?

Reply to
No