basement insulaton?

I'm redoing my basement and was looking for comments on insulating the walls. The basement is dry and was unsure if insulating would improve the climate control. I'm in NY where temp is low as teens and high as 90's. Any comments?
Hi, I am in Calgary. Used 2X4 stud walls, R12 fiberglass batts and vapor barrier. Most heat is lost thru ceiling if you have inadequate insulation up there. Here I put in R60(R40 is minimum per code) Tony
Joe wrote:

In Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada it is r24. Two bats of r12, and your 2x4 studs are set out 3 1/2 inches from the wall. The first r12 is laid horizontally then the next layer is put vertically in the studs.
See: http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/pdf_files/bsmtdev.pdf
Mike :)

hmmm...the document you referred to says R12 is minimum... where did you get R24 from? mikey.
Michael wrote:

Code here is R 12 below grade, R 20 above grade.
Yes, it will make a big difference.
Ken

Ive seen 2 x 8 sheets of foam board with a notch when put side by side that you stick a 2 x 4 in and nail to the wall then you can apply drywall or paneling over it.

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/insulation/products/insulpink.asp