basement insulation question

I live in a split level house with a finished basement that I moved into back in July. This is our first winter and I noticed it was cold in the basement and after further investigating discovered that there was no insulation behind the wood panel walls. So I am in the process of removing the wood panels, which is fairly easy, and putting insulation inside the walls between the studs and on the sill plates between the ceiling joists. I have a storage closet that has no finished wall inside, it is just the foundation slab. How should I insulate this? I was thinking of using those styrofoam insulation boards and glueing them to the foundation. Also my furnace room has exposed foundation walls. I know I'm not suppose to put anything flammable near the furnace so is it better off just leaving the foundation exposed?

Reply to
Mikepier

The foam will work. Yes, it will save you some $ in the long run.

As for the furnace room, you must have some clearance from the heater. Check the manual for that. It cold be anywhere from 12" to 36". You can use foam insulation, but it must be covered with sheetrock to meet code.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Is basement below grade, if it is are you sure no moisture gets in through the walls , if it does mold will grow. You can put in vents if you have forced air and are sure it can take the extra load. Moisture is a first concern

Reply to
m Ransley

Pay special attention to the top half as most of the heat loss will be there, the bottom half is far enough underground that you will not loose much heat there, the walls will be warmer.

Make sure the insulation is certified for exposed use. It is a safety issue. Most Styrofoam is highly poisonous when it burns. It must be covered with drywall for your protection and likely local fire code.

As noted there will be specifications for the furnace. Be sure to follow them and be extra careful with any foam insulation.

You may need to have someone take a look at the heat distribution (duct) system and your heating capacity before you have this all corrected. My guess is the heating equipment was not designed to heat the basement to living standards, or if it was,. it was poorly done. Only an on site inspection and some measurements can tell for sure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I believe those foam panels are very flamable and code requires that they be covered and not left exposed.

Reply to
Art

No, it is NOT poisonous. It gives off a lot of soot, along with carbon dioxide and water. While it is not good to inhale soot, there are not toxic fumes with either Styrofoam (Dow Chemicals trademark for extruded polystyrene board) or expanded polystyrene board. Other isocyanate foams may or may not; I'm not familiar with them.

The foam materials approved for insulation are modified so they do not burn on their own, only when there is another source of ignition. To test this, break off a piece take it outside, then burn it by holding a lighter or torch to it. remove the flame and it will go out in a few seconds. (this is not true of most packaging grade foams)

It must be covered with drywall to meet code thought.

I know you have good intentions, but be sure to check the facts of insulating foams. There are huge differences in how they react and I'm sure you want to be accurate.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't forget to caulk the gap between the sill plate and foundation wall. It is a major source of infiltration

Reply to
Martik

You believe wrong. Yes, they must be covered for code, but they will not burn unless thee is another source of ignition. Much less likely to burn that paper, cardboard, vinyl paneling, etc. Please see my other post on this.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Seems to be a difference of opinions here. My friend who is a plastic engineer in the foam business disagrees with you completely on this when I spoke to him years ago about this very subject.

Check out this government site who sponsored Penn State for research on this subject. It conflicts with what you post says Ed. Also, the part on HOW the tests are done is extremely interesting.

More here

Geoman

Ed I just took outside a piece of blue foamboard, its 15f outside and with my liitle Bic lighter it burnt and stank like polyurethane. Id say it is more dangerous then you realise

Reply to
m Ransley

Maybe you better update your information. There are serious real issues with burning Styrofoam.

One source

says

"1. Polystyrene readily de-polymerizes at "campfire temperatures" giving off styrene vapor, which may or may not burn. Styrene vapor is toxic. Burning polystyrene has a characteristic odor which is largely styrene vapor."

A quick search will find many more. Under ideal controled conditions you may be right, but in real world conditions there are real problems.

When in doubt, error on the side of caution and always follow the code.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Stink does not equate to toxicity. The flame went out too didn't it?

While you would not want to breath in soot, it is not the same as breathing in poisonous gasses. Too much of your own farts could smother you, but in moderation, they only stink.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Obviously.... I was not suggesting spontaneous combustion.

Reply to
Art

When you say "covered with drywall" does that include wood panelling, or does it specifically need drywall? I have a similar project like this on the back burner.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

No Ed it burnt till it was gone. It is a petroleum byproduct , I dought you can give proof breathing it`s fumes while burning is safe, nor would you do it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Must be drywall. Drywall is very fire retardant, wood paneling is not.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It has to have a fire rated covering, wood paneling does not do this.

!/2 inch plasterboard or similar material meets the requirement for residential usage

Rich

Reply to
Geoman

Burning anything aside from wood in a campfire is pretty stupid. This does not address any other issues. Nor do they give much in the way of specifics "may or may not" ??? Does that mean they really don't know?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most of what is stated here is exactly what I said. They are lumping together a lot of foams here. I was addressing two types of styrene based boards. I've witnessed some of the testing. Under the right circumstances, yes, it will burn and give off a lot of soot. I never denied that. I've also seen where it offered more protection than other wall coverings that are considered acceptable. When used properly it is perfectly safe. When not used properly, it can and will burn. As pointed out in the web page, there are MANY different foams.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed I just lit up a piece outside , it burnt right up till it was gone. I have 4 types in my house, I bet they will all burn up completely with my Bic lighter

Reply to
m Ransley