Basement insulation problems

Part of my basement as for insulation foam boards glued to the concrete walls dow to about 6 inches from the floor. I've noticed recently some seepage at the base of one of the foam boards. Thinking it could be a leak, I removed the foam board to investigate. The entire wall was wet underneat. It seems like condensation is forming behind the foam boards. The concrete is chipping on the surface as a result of this situation.

I'm currently letting it dry but I'd like to know how to prevent this when I'll re-insulate that part of the basement.

Stefan Mazur

Reply to
smazur

Id say the 6" was left because the wall leaked from the outside, its an airspace as I have instaled a 2"bottom airspace. Let it dry , use a moisture meter to see if it realy dries. But its likely best to leave it removable and consider outside repairs, Condensation forms on the coldest wall, insulation may be reducing it but trapping it. Keep an eye out for mold and use bleach if its detected. I also use foamboad on my basement walls.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi Stefan,

I would suggest a closed cell spray on foam insulation like Tiger Foam instead of foam boards. The liquid 2 part foam adheres to the blocks or concrete completely and will seal the wall as long as it's dry when you apply. The air pocket behind the foam board is likely the cause of the condensation. When you seal it completely, you elimate the gaps and there won't be any condensation. Also, the foam board is only a third of the R-value of the spray foam kits, which will further reduce or eliminate the thermal bridging that is causing the condensation.

If it's a leak, as in crumbled or cracked blocks from the outside, you would want to fix that, and you would know that by the amount of water and if it's just coming in during extended rain periods or high water table times. Most likely it's a condensation problem from how you say it.

Good luck and happy holidays!

abi

Reply to
abi

Actualy abi foamboard foilfaced is R 7.2" Icynene spray on is R 5". Polyurethane spray on is R 7.2" but it outgasses. Same products, one sold finished, one in liquid bulk. Your removable boards are best as future repairs and monitoring of leaks can be done, spray on foam can hide a major issue.

Reply to
m Ransley