basement, gas furnace/water heater question.. dont have any ventilation..need to have some fresh air

Page 1 of 2
Hi
I have a question.. In my basement I have my gas furnace and hot water heater... there is one window there... I currently do not have any fresh air access... The gas company said I should have some fresh air coming in with louver or vent.. Question:
do I need to run tubing so it sits 12 inches from the floor? Someone said I should.
what is the simplest way to do this air louver?
wont the room get cold? Thanks
KOS wrote:

Ji, Furnace insaller should take care of that when it was installed. Is your basement air TIGHT when the window is closed? Do you have any problem running furnace and hot water tank now? Do you hve CO detector in the house?

The gas guy you talked to is an idiot. If your home was not drafting or Co is present. and thats about impossible with a properly working heating system, then he could be possibly be justified in making that assesment . Read UP
One way to figure out what you need for combustion air requirements is to look up the installation manual for the type of gas furnace you have. The amount of space you need depends on how many btu's the furnace has, whether the source of air is outside air or inside air from within the building, etc.
For example, you could look at this installation manual (or one from a heater unit that is similar to yours):
http://www.whirlpoolcomfort.com/Upload/WFAU%20AND%20WFLU.pdf .
How big is your basement? Often, if the heater and hot water are in a regular size "full basement", the room size is sufficient without needing outside air to be brought in.

Run a dryer hose from outside the house to the furnace area, floor, ceiling, or wall mount the hose. Put an always open but screened cover over the vent on the outside to keep critters out. As long as you have a carbon monoxide detector somewhere in the vicinity of the furnace, everything should be fine.
?

Millions of houses have been built like that, but times are a changing. New burners are made to use fresh air intakes for combustion. You can buy a vent made for that purpose and either run dryer vent or PVC pipe to the heater. The advantage is you are not taking the heated inside air and burning the fuel and then exhausting it up the chimney. Fresh air enter, combusts, and then is vented while inside air is recirculated.
Oh, use a flapper if it is not direct connected so the cold air does not come in unless sucked it.

My unit is 15 years old... There was a problem with the vents...there was a flapper vent connected to the furnace, but the flapper got stuck... Furnace was not venting, was getting very very hot.. CO detector came on..
?

On the intake? I was talking about the intake but they do have motorized flappers that open on the flue when the heat comes on. Yes it can cause a serious problem if it stops working.

Last furnace I had with the power damper would not let the furnace fire at all untill the damper was fully open. It was a Lennox IIRC, and about 34 years ago

om...
Like the uk doesn't? haha, try that on someone that hasn't been there a few times.
On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:28:12 -0800, harry wrote:

Hmm, the last place I lived at in the UK had gas-fired CH; where do such heaters typically source their combustion air from, then? I'm reasonably sure that one took air from outside and then burped it back into the outside world, just like a typical US forced-air furnace does. It was, however, mounted on an external wall, so there wasn't a long pipe run within the house for the combusion air; typical US furnaces I've seen have been in a more central location within the home.
cheers
Jules
On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:11:44 -0800, harry wrote:

Right.... so how's that any different to a US furnace which may have a pipe supplying combustion air from the outside world, or be mounted against an exterior wall and thus draw air directly into the furnace?
I'm just trying to understand: "We don't have furnaces that need to bring cold air into the house", because it seems to me that the combustion side of things is the same, so there's no logic in saying (just from that aspect) that one is any better than the other - no matter which side of the Pond you are, the system will draw cold air from outside, and may or may not do so via a pipe. I hate forced-air systems*, I really do, but purely on the "bit that gets hot" side of things I'm not sure that a CH boiler is really any different.
* I can see the benefits if you're in a climate that also needs AC - but for everywhere else it seems a bulky and inefficient way of getting heat to where it's needed the most.
(In the early '80s I was in a house in the UK that had forced-air, but all the others I lived in over there were CH/rads. Current place in the US is a combination of forced-air and electric baseboard)
cheers
Jules

What you said was that you were in the USA and saw furnaces being installed in new construction that were of design technology that the UK abandoned 50 years ago, ie 1960. Still waiting for the simple explanation of what exactly you saw, but obviousy the village idiot can't provide it, because once again you're caught full of BS.

Amazing how you can blame everything on the USA. As I recall, while some American car manufacturers did buy some British car companies, it was only after the British govt had become heavily involved in onwership and stewardship of the British auto industry and run it into the ground. That level of stupidy the US govt is only now approaching.

Yeah, and the USA builds over 4 MILLION a year. You little piss ants hardly even register in world market share. If the British had such superior technology, while the USA sucks, the numbers would be reversed?
Now run along and play in traffic.
On Jan 8, 1:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yes you're behind us in most things.. Government Motors? We abandoned that idea forty years ago.;-)
For the size and population of the country that we build a lot more. We export cars. World market? Don't make me laugh. WTF wants American cars? No-one. Even Americans won't buy them any more, the most ugly primitive cars in the world. Even the Russians make prettier cars! You'll need to get some Europeans to design you some. Or Japanese. Oh, that's already so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek

Last time I checked, the size and population of a country doesn't have much of a correleation to it's export capabilities. Look at places like Taiwan, that achieved huge worldwide exports in all kinds of markets from handgoods to semiconductors.
How many people and how many acres do you think it takes to build an auto plant? Hmmm? Facts are simple. If the UK was so superior as you claim, you'd be a major player with huge market share in autos. Instead, you're a nit, yet you have the nerve to hurl insults at the USA.

Apparently a lot of people do, because we build 4mil+ a year. How many does Britain build, with all it's supposedly advanced technology? Oh, and speaking of advanced technology, how's it going in the high tech world of semiconductors and computers for you guys? Hmmm? You do have one major semiconductor plant that I know of, but it's in Ireland, thanks to US based Intel, who built and own it. Got any Microsofts, Ciscos, Apples, etc over there? How's that going for you? Even places like Taiwan, with it's small size, kicked your asses. They have huge semiconductor fabs and high tech manufacturing located there. South Korea buried you too.
So go stick your head in your high efficiency UK furnace and turn the gas on for us, OK?

Yawn.... Wrong again. I presume it's ARM microprocessors that you claim are made in the UK. In fact, the small UK based company merely licenses out the intellectual property rights to other companies that actually have the billion dollar fabs that produce them in various OTHER parts of the world. In fact, I'd be surprised if ANY ARM microprocessors are actually fabbed in the UK. Certainly not the basis for a manufacturing economy, jobs, capital investment that one would expect given your claim that the UK is so far superior.
On Jan 8, 1:53pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Re what I saw. I saw flimsy, poorly designed buildings with little insulation. I saw concrete being laid by idiots. I saw basement concrete structure with half the thickness neccessary and very little re-bar. For damp-proofing a bit of bitumous paint. I saw local highways of concrete, broken up by trucks even before the houses were sold. I saw roofs made out of tarred felt. I saw primitive air heaters with dodgy control sytems. I saw massive domestic hot water stores.

We had even worse. We had Ford.

Not a yank

.
Im sure it was an Exhaust damper, a saftey should have not let it fire.