basement framing question?

Hi, I am getting ready to start framing my basement in my new house I just bought. It has a poured foundation. I was wondering what was the best way to fasten a 2x4 to a concrete floor for the baseof the walls. I seen some concrete nails (the flat ones) at home depot and I was thinking of going this route. Do they just pound into the concrete? Or do I have to drill a pilot hole first? And also, how deep into the concrete should the nail be going? I am not sure what size to buy? Thanks for your help.

Lasher

Reply to
Lasher

Help yourself and get a power gun nailer. Very easy to use, VERY loud as well, wear earplugs. I had no luck pounding nails inthe floor, this tool mad it a snap.

I got a Ramset model, it uses .22 shells to fire the nails. Be careful, this thing can do some damage though. I used 3' nails, You need special nails fo rthe gun though. Gor mine at Home depot. Cost $72 with shells and nails.

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

Reply to
Lawrence Rottersman

Hey Lasher -- Before you really get revving on this, make sure the work you do is up to code. Basement framing and walls have a few regs that are different from working on a normal room in the house and every municipality is different.

By way of example:

A fellow on one of the groups had a particularly unpleasant story when he framed and drywalled his basement, had everything done, and an inspector popped by -- turns out he didn't use pressure treated lumber where walls contacted the pad and that was required in their municipality. Now the inspector has ordered him to tear it all out and he's in a protracted battle with city hall. ( BTW, the inspector caught on to him when he drove by and saw the lumber in the yard -- he stopped in to make an inquiry and the guy didn't have a permit, so things got a little unhappy.)

FWIW, just thought I'd mention it so you don't find yourself in a similar trick bag.

James

Reply to
JNJ

Lasher wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Don't use concrete cut nails, it will wear you out and most don't go in unless you use a mini sledge hammer. Use either a Hilti or Ramset gun, I believe you can rent them still. Although I have heard you need a permit in some states to operate them which is a little excessive in my opinion. Really makes fast work for installing studs, nailers and furring strips to concrete. They even make some incredible glues and epoxy for the same applications but I would still go with the first option.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

I used Tapcon screws: predrill and screw them in. They worked really well. I would also support the gun route. I have one as well do some other work I had to do. They are a real godsend. Home Depot rents them if you don't want to buy but they do have a pretty inexpensive unit (single nail/shot) you can buy.

Reply to
edee em

Thanks for your inputs, I will probably rent one since I dont need it often. thanks

Reply to
Lasher