basement framing question?

Hi, I am getting ready to start framing my basement in my new house I just bought. It has a poured foundation. I was wondering what was the best way to fasten a 2x4 to a concrete floor for the baseof the walls. I seen some concrete nails (the flat ones) at home depot and I was thinking of going this route. Do they just pound into the concrete? Or do I have to drill a pilot hole first? And also, how deep into the concrete should the nail be going? I am not sure what size to buy? Thanks for your help.
Lasher
Help yourself and get a power gun nailer. Very easy to use, VERY loud as well, wear earplugs. I had no luck pounding nails inthe floor, this tool mad it a snap.
I got a Ramset model, it uses .22 shells to fire the nails. Be careful, this thing can do some damage though. I used 3' nails, You need special nails fo rthe gun though. Gor mine at Home depot. Cost $72 with shells and nails.
Chris

Using a power gun nailer is a good idea and worked well for me when I did my basement. Here's a tip you might find useful: if the gun you get does not have the capacity to fire a 3 inch nail, pound the 3 incher with a hammer about half way into the 2x4 plate, stick the nozle of the gun onto it, and fire away. My gun is a Hilti and one their guys gave me the tip which really worked well. However, this is not a procedure that Hilti has written down, so don't entirely take my word for it if your not comfortable doing it.
says...

Hey Lasher -- Before you really get revving on this, make sure the work you do is up to code. Basement framing and walls have a few regs that are different from working on a normal room in the house and every municipality is different.
By way of example:
A fellow on one of the groups had a particularly unpleasant story when he framed and drywalled his basement, had everything done, and an inspector popped by -- turns out he didn't use pressure treated lumber where walls contacted the pad and that was required in their municipality. Now the inspector has ordered him to tear it all out and he's in a protracted battle with city hall. ( BTW, the inspector caught on to him when he drove by and saw the lumber in the yard -- he stopped in to make an inquiry and the guy didn't have a permit, so things got a little unhappy.)
FWIW, just thought I'd mention it so you don't find yourself in a similar trick bag.
James
Lasher wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

Don't use concrete cut nails, it will wear you out and most don't go in unless you use a mini sledge hammer. Use either a Hilti or Ramset gun, I believe you can rent them still. Although I have heard you need a permit in some states to operate them which is a little excessive in my opinion. Really makes fast work for installing studs, nailers and furring strips to concrete. They even make some incredible glues and epoxy for the same applications but I would still go with the first option.
Rich
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK.

Thanks for your inputs, I will probably rent one since I dont need it often. thanks
Lasher

way
be