Basement Floor Question

Hi All,
Looking for advice on what to do with my basement floor. Is very solid and sound, but dirty and stained. What can anyone recommend to use for cleaning\protecting my floor? It is a straight concrete basement in the foundation.
Thanks to all!!
GR
Ranger G wrote:

Visit your local DIY or paint center. There are a number of products available to take care of the problem. Depending on the look you want, I would suggest using a paint type product designed for concrete floors.
The product will come with instructions explaining how you need to prep (clean) the floor before using it. Don't skip a bit of what they tell you to do. The prep is the most important part of the job and if you mess it up, the result is 10 times harder to fix.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Would an epoxy or polymer floor coating work?
snipped-for-privacy@HOTMAIL.COM (Ranger G) wrote in message

You don't say how the basement is to be used. The floor can be cleaned of all oils and sealers, then stained. TB

Etch it with muratic acid (make sure you have a LOT of ventilation) to clean up the concrete. If you want, you can seal it with a clear sealer or you can paint it. My preference is bare concrete. Most coatings eventually wear out, peel, bubble, or find some other way to fail. Then you've gotta do it all over again...

You may paint over it. But keep in mind that you will need to remove the paint if you later on deciding to put ceramic tiles over the concrete floor, and removing paint from concrete floor is _very_ difficult (be there, done that). If you haven't decided on what the future plan on your basement, you may be better off just to clean it and leave it alone.
My co-worker puts outdoor carpet over the concrete floor in his basement. And he likes this. I haven't tried this myself though.
Jay Chan