Basement floor ...new construction

Three new duplexes are being built behind the alley from where I live.
They dug out the basement and put in gravel, then poured cement only around the edges for the poured cement walls, which are now in.
I figured they'd pour the rest of the cement later, but no, they are just going ahead and building the houses...they have the first floor going in now.
Are houses no longer using concrete basement floors...or what?
On Wednesday, June 17, 2015 at 1:50:09 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

to pevent damage duringn construction the basement floors will lilely get poured later
On 06/17/2015 01:13 PM, bob haller wrote:

OK, I could not imagine them leaving it as gravel.
When my house was built in 1898, the floor was dirt.
I think the concrete poured in 1932 or so.
On 6/17/2015 1:50 PM, philo wrote:

No rush. They may still have to bury some drain lines or other plumbing. It you are in the north, they should insulate with slabs of foam and then pour the floor.
On 06/17/2015 07:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

In Wisconsin.
Ah yes, no drains have been put in, guess they'll have to do that before they pour the floor. I'm quite sure they know what they are doing.
They put plenty of insulating around the sides so far
will watch the construction.
Usually, here in the Chicago area, they insulate the walls with slabs of foam.
On 06/17/2015 08:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Another thing I've noticed, looks like there are not going to be any basement windows.
On 6/17/2015 8:17 PM, philo wrote:

Now THAT'S strange. If there is a basement, I believe code now requires at the minimum an escape window regardless of any other window requirements in that basement.
Growing up (though some would argue it never happened<g>) in the Chicago area, I recall as a kid and adult many, many homes with basements constructed and the basement floor was always among the last pours and the chutes were stuck in through the basement windows, etc.
If there are no windows going into this one, be sure to take video when they pour the floor. Should be interesting to share with us.<g>

I know nothing about "code" but have noticed a lot of homes with glass block windows, which would not be easy to get through in the event of an emergency.
Though there may be no windows they have not put the entire floors in yet, still just have the joists in so they still get the cement in easily.
On 06/18/2015 6:05 AM, philo wrote: ...

At that point it'd be "concrete", not cement... <pedant off> :)
Perhaps there's other egress planned or they're not putting in full basement depth that negates the need for the window(s). They're certainly a weak spot for water ingress so unless mandatory if were mine I'd opt for the same scheme. Not certain on current Code and, of course, there's a zillion varieties of local differences but afaik it's still only mandatory if it is habitable (finished) area to have more than the stairwell??? Sleeping areas (including any basement) must have egress in each bedroom of course.

philo wrote:

Duplex may be the key here, i.e. cheap section 8 housing. The "basement" not being a common or habitable area being built as a glorified crawlspace.
On 06/18/2015 08:08 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Not a crawl space, a full basement divided into two sections, one for each residence. Looks about 7 1/2 feet deep.
On 06/18/2015 8:22 AM, philo wrote:

The question is whether it'll be finished, hence "habitable" space or not, not the height, etc., as far as Code reqm'ts...
On 06/18/2015 10:49 AM, dpb wrote:

Will report back if they pour it
On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 11:49:59 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:

That's what I thought too. I've never heard of a code reqt for basement windows in unfinished basements, only that you need them for additional exits if it's finished. I seem to recall it was only if it was a sleeping area too, but not sure.
Still, at least a couple of windows are highly desirable. If it gets flooded for example, it's going to be harder to dry out, air out, without them.
On 06/19/2015 7:49 AM, trader_4 wrote:

SBC _requires_ 2nd egress if the space is deemed "habitable" by Code definition (which basically, means if it is finished space; wall coverings, flooring, lighting, etc., etc., etc., ...) That doesn't necessarily require it be a window but if there isn't an exterior door because, say, one wall is at grade or an exit well, or the like, the window route is the cheapest way to satisfy the Code.

OTOH, it may not _get_ flooded if the windows aren't there as lower entry points... :) Just had a friend who got his flooded precisely that way because the recent downpour exceeded the capacity of the window wells plus their depth surge storage capacity and filled them nearly full...if that had been solid wall, he'd still be dry.

if someone happens to be in the basement and a fire occurs they might die, p;us firemen have no way to access the area. worse moisture , mold can grow in areas with little ventilation.
if it were me nice big windows would be required