Basement finishing - What to do around HVAC?

Hi gang!

We are in the process of finishing our basement. While I have studded and primes all outside walls, I am at a loss as to what to do around the HVAC unit. Any ideas? It would be difficult to frame around, since it butts up to a steel support girder, and not wood that I could attach framing to. Here is a (albeit poor) picture.

Just wondering how we would be able to hide this when the basement is finished.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas. This has turned into quite a project!

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

You will build a stud wall around it with either a door or access panel appropriately place for service access and filter changes. Code may dictate clearances. I just use common sense. Figure what may ever need to be accessed and make sure your 'room' is large enough to get to it. Also if this is your furnace it may use basement air for combustion so you may need to add a vent to the wall or louvered doors. If you need to connect to the beam you can drill a small hole and drive a bolt or screw through. Just build the walls first. They may not need to attach at top and yet be sturdy enough. Drywall add a lot of rigidity.

looks like you have more soffit work to do as well. Greenboard was probably not necessary but wont hurt.

Reply to
No

Nice pics. I would agree to build a wall around it with a louvered door. I have that in my basement.

Reply to
Mikepier

I would strongly suggest making the opening sufficient to get the unit in/out and to leave of room around it inside in order to facilitate service. I would also provide light and power for the same purpose. Your need to install sufficient air space to provide return air and combustion air.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Concur with others on furnace/AC. In my basement I used a drop ceiling and butted it against the sides of the AC/furnace ducts. I painted the ducts a light brown. I think this is no worse than framing them in or having a real low ceiling all over. It certainly is easier to do.

Reply to
Jeff

What have you done for AC and Heat for the basement? I don't see any returns or outlets tied in to the central system?

Reply to
JimL

We did not tie into the system for the basement. In the summer, it's nice and cool anyway. in the winter we will have small portable heaters or an electric fireplace.

Looks like the consensus is to frame out around the HVAC, and have a door or vents for it. Thanks for the responses.

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn