Basement Finishing System... do it yourself?

I've read about the Owens Corning Basement Finishing System... seems intereting: little mess, fast, easy access to pipes, etc...
But the reason i want to finish my basement myself, is to save money on labor. i.e. not paying a team of pros 2 weeks to do it. But the Ownens Corning system requires installation by licensed contractors.
Has anyone successfully bought the supplies and built a basement themselves (Basement Finishing System)? I'm curious. Or can only contractors get the supplies?
Thanks, John
johnb41 wrote:

While I'm sure I could play some games and get my hands on the materials if I really wanted, I find this type of marketing offensive and prefer to simply take my business elsewhere.
Pete C.

But is there anything else out there like it?
I went into the Owens Corning trailer at a home show, and asked just about exactly this question. It seems to me that it's a great DIY system. The sales person explained that it was originally offered for DIY, but repeated problems and questions and need for follow through made that unprofitable. So they set up installation.
(Don't shoot me - I'm just reporting what he said...!)
It's a great concept IMO, my walk out basement bottom floor is something I can tackle on my own at my own pace sometime in the future - I sure do hope a competitor geared for DIY comes up in the next few years. I'd tear down the crappy drywall job I have there now to put it up. Truly.
Actually, I think drywall is stupid, and look forward to panelling systems, like are used for commercial applications, being more widespread for residential applications. The Owens Corning system looked a little, um, chintzy compared to commercial panels I've seen - I think there's room for that kind of system gaining acceptance. But that's JMO..
Banty
I bet the system is very expensive. If you are handy I bet you could finish the basement walls yourself. If you have moisture problems it will affect the owens system as well as a do it yourself drywall job so you have to prepare for that either way. Also, if you do have a moisture problem down the road, how much will they charge to come back and fix the damage ? Compare that to replacing drywall and insulation. Also, you have to be careful with insulating basement walls above the frost line. I have heard one should not insulate basement walls above the frost line because the ground will freeze deeper and could heave your walls to some extent. Anyone have any info on that. Sorry to tag a question onto yours. Good Luck Banty wrote:

The system is very expensive, especially if you can't deal with jerk salesmen. The one I talked to was the absolute most pushy salesman I have ever even heard of. You have to cut them off short, don't believe a word they say, and tell them to stop lying to you. They pull all the old standard tricks: sale ends soon, discount for using you as a reference, calling their manager etc. You really have to talk them down, they will drop about 50% from their initial quote. Get references and go see their work. Most people will tell you what they paid for their work and you can base your quote around theirs (if similiar). I am currently looking into this as well. I absolutely love the sound deadening qualities of the panels. And to tag onto your post as well, take a look at my blog, http://somedaysoon22.blogspot.com/ to see what I have planned. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.