Basement Finishing System... do it yourself?

I've read about the Owens Corning Basement Finishing System... seems intereting: little mess, fast, easy access to pipes, etc...

But the reason i want to finish my basement myself, is to save money on labor. i.e. not paying a team of pros 2 weeks to do it. But the Ownens Corning system requires installation by licensed contractors.

Has anyone successfully bought the supplies and built a basement themselves (Basement Finishing System)? I'm curious. Or can only contractors get the supplies?

Thanks, John

Reply to
johnb41

While I'm sure I could play some games and get my hands on the materials if I really wanted, I find this type of marketing offensive and prefer to simply take my business elsewhere.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

But is there anything else out there like it?

I went into the Owens Corning trailer at a home show, and asked just about exactly this question. It seems to me that it's a great DIY system. The sales person explained that it was originally offered for DIY, but repeated problems and questions and need for follow through made that unprofitable. So they set up installation.

(Don't shoot me - I'm just reporting what he said...!)

It's a great concept IMO, my walk out basement bottom floor is something I can tackle on my own at my own pace sometime in the future - I sure do hope a competitor geared for DIY comes up in the next few years. I'd tear down the crappy drywall job I have there now to put it up. Truly.

Actually, I think drywall is stupid, and look forward to panelling systems, like are used for commercial applications, being more widespread for residential applications. The Owens Corning system looked a little, um, chintzy compared to commercial panels I've seen - I think there's room for that kind of system gaining acceptance. But that's JMO..

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Reply to