basement drain blocked

Hello,
I have the follwoing problem: the drain in the basement of the house (build ~1910) is blocked - the house was vacant and over time sand and mud was spilled into the drain and therfore a water problem exists. Any idea if there is a way to get the sand/mud out of the pipes in the drain?
Thanks!
Sam wrote:

You might try forcing water under pressure. There is a rubber "bladder" which fits on a garden hose and expands to fit the drain opening. They are available in different sizes. Check at a hardware store.
If that doesn't open it, rent a sewer auger. It will be a ticklish job because the snake will likely have to go around the bends in the "P" trap in the floor.
Jim

Speaking of basement P traps, how fast does water evaporate out of the P trap in a basement? As part of regular maintenance are you supposed to add in water every couple of years in order to maintain the water seal and prevent sewer gases from coming through?

Years? I'd go with months, but YMMV depending on climate.
Rotor Rooter has a machine that should be able to do it but it is expensive. Call and get an estimate.

I had a similar problem with a basement drain, and I successfully opened it up with a long wire snake followed by a large-volume flush from a garden hose pushed down the drain. At the time the basement was unfinished so the water I spread around was easy to clean up. A plumber would do a more professional job with a sealed system.
Dave

I would start with a shop vac. Remove as much material as possible, add some water, suck some more. Repeat until you are fairly sure that you are not getting anything back.
I would then try garden hose.
Add one of these: http://www.gtwaterproducts.com/drain.html
Next step - Snake and lots of water.