Basement drain below floor

I'm installing a one-piece shower/tub surround in the basement. The builder left a concrete brick in the floor which I knocked out where a drain and trap was located under a couple buckets of sand. After hooking up the drain and overflow what should be done with the hole? Should it be sealed or should I just dump and pack the sand/stones/clay dirt back into the hole?
If the tub needs support in the area I would fill it with something that will give it support. Maybe cement or maybe expanding foam.

I'd use non shrink cement. T