basement ceiling

Hi all, I am planning to redo my basement. Now ceiling covered with ugly boards. What options do I have for ceiling, I don't want to do drywall.Any advice, please Ed.
Ed wrote:

My suggestion? Drop ceiling. If you ever need to get up under the ceiling for repairs or to string new wires, cables, etc., it's a piece of cake. Get a leak from upstairs? Just change a few panels.

Ceiling tiles in a drop ceiling is probably easiest. Basement ceiling often have a lot of utilities in them and you may need access at some point.
Owens Corning h as been advertising new materials just for basements. May be worth taking a look at what they have.
Try CeilingMax. It is a system where the T-grid mounts right to the joist. This system eliminates the 3 to 4" drop required as most suspended ceilings. Their web site is http://www.ceilingmax.com /.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ed:
E > I am planning to redo my basement. Now ceiling covered with ugly E > boards. What options do I have for ceiling, I don't want to do E > drywall.Any advice, please
Whatever you do don't use paneling! The stuff will sag. Saw this in a basement of a house we looked at to buy.
Others suggested drop ceilings - I would tend to agree. Will be much easier to run any wiring and get to plumbing, HVAC, etc. If you really need to get the ceiling tight use a flexible tile.
Another option would be some sort of do-it-yourself variation of the dropped ceiling: a large panel is supported by wood 1x's. Screw the 1-by's into the joists for eventual removal (see previous paragraph).
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* State Motto: Kansas: First Of The Rectangle States
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971