basement access door (outside)

Plan on building an apartment in the basement of a bungalow we have bought, would like to have access to this apartment from outside the house, I plan on hiring the job out to a pro, what would I ask, who would I call, are permits needed etc...
it will be a simple concrete flight of stairs down to the basement entrance, drain in the lower most portion and a railing of course, maybe covered by a "sundeck' type enclosure for winter use
any hints, tips, what to look out for etc...
any ideas on the cost of something like this, the builder of the home wants $5000 to do this during construction.
thanks
--

Aieeee! Run down to your local building inspector and find out what the local requirements are. Things have changed and you need "escape" windows in living space - including the basement. That $5k may be too low.