baseman flooding...

The water heater (boiler) started leaking water... We noticed the flooding (it was just partial, 40% of a 4m.x6m baseman, partly carpeted. We managed to take the water out, and sucked the water from the rug using news papers (tons of it)

Now the carpet is almost dry, but still some areas are wet.

My question, at this point is:

1-Should I keep the de-humidifier on (It has been for three days) 2-Or should I put fans towards the wet areas and open the windows (humidity outside is terrible -I live near Lake Ontario, Canada-, and I am concern the humidity will make things worse. 3-Should I ripp (excuse my English) or pull out the old rug (is where the humidity is more accute)... 4-If I don't see mold, am I ok?

Thanks!!!!

Botticelli

Reply to
Botticeli

I forgot to ask for advice regarding the old carpet. Can I just remove it? should I use a mask? or it has to be done by profesionales?

thanks once more!!

Botticelli

Reply to
Botticeli

Which baseman? First, second, or third? :-)

on 7/22/2008 1:06 PM Botticeli said the following:

Reply to
willshak

keep the dehumidifier going full force, keep the area closed off from the outside.

Steve Barker DLT

If you're ripping out the old carpet. just go for it. no mask or "professional" needed.

I forgot to ask for advice regarding the old carpet. Can I just remove it? should I use a mask? or it has to be done by profesionales?

thanks once more!!

Botticelli

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Yes, keep the de-humidifier on until everything is dry, when you stop having to empty the tank, if ever, all is well.

Yes, blow fans at the wet areas. Don't open the windows unless it is dryer outside than inside.

The rug will be your call, if you have a sponge underpad it may be holding a lot of water. Go over it all with a wet/dry vacuum and get all the moisture you can out of the carpet, it will help it dry a lot better than newspapers ever will.

In a basement you should really use commercial grade carpet tiles. They can take getting wet, and can be easily lifted to get the water up and dry the tiles. They go back just as easy. Do not install standard household carpet with foam or sponge underpad under it. It will trap any loose water and create an ideal area for mould to grow.

If you don't see mould, you may be OK, but you really need to look closer under the carpet where it will be growing.

Reply to
EXT

turn furnace on max temperature for day while your away, leave fan blowing over area and dehudifier on.

dry it out fast.

install drip pan so it cant happen again

Reply to
hallerb

I want to thank you all for your advice!

I will certainly follow your wisdom...

I am completely unexpert in these, house matters, and to have people that give you a hand, is just amazing!

Thanks again...

Boticelli

Reply to
Botticeli

Probably the shaggy one. You know; shaggy around the ears.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon