Baseboard mounting

Page 2 of 2

How is it easier? I have replaced a carpet in a room where I was also replacing baseboard trim. I thought it would be easier to get a clean look by installing the baseboard before the new carpet. Worked out fine for me. Oh, and I installed it on the floor. No intentional gap.
H wrote:

Having been in the trim business for over 30 years, I will tell you how the raising the trim off of the floor came about, then you can decide what to do.
Back in the good old days, houses had door casing and baseboard moulding. They had the same detail, but the baseboard was taller than the door casing. You can still find this in any major moulding catalogue. Door casing will be matched to a baseboard with the baseboard wider at the base.
When you put the baseboard down and then install carpet, about the same amount of the moulding shows in both places and they appear to be the same width.
Back when the housing booms started and people were trying to cut corners everywhere they could, they stopped buying separate base and casing and just bought casing. You did not have to have two different trims and the casing cost less. If you raised the casing up off the floor, you would have the same reveal on both.
There is no other reason to raise the base off the floor. Ask any carpet installer. They do NOT need to have the base raised off the floor for any reason.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

The baseboards should go in before the carpet!! I would leave 1/8 inch above the highest point (basement floors are never level). As you go around that gap may grow by as much as 1/2 inch or even 3/4 inch depending on the floor. The carpet guys will then hide this gap. If the gap needs to grow any larger then I would recommend scribing it, but that is a lot of work. So sometimes if you see the floor is dipping a lot for a certain area, then you can drop the whole board to a different level (for a section) at a place where the eye will be tricked into thinking the basboard is same level everywhere. If you wait for the carpet install, you will have a very hard time getting the base level because those carpet guys will simply come up tight to your drywall, (they need a backwall to avoid doing tuck and fold of edges thats what the baseboard is for). Get the base in first!