baseboard moulding height

I am installing baseboard moulding prior to having new carpet installed. I am trying to determine how high off the floor I should install the moulding. I was looking at a carpentry book in Home Depot and it said install the moulding 3/4" off the floor. Does that sound correct? any suggestions or opinions are welcome.
Harold
Harold wrote:

depends to some extent on the carpet, but the 3/4" is way too high. 3/8" is more like it.

When I re-did my second floor the carpet place told me to choose my carpet first as it really depends on the carpet going in. Too low and you get a funky wedge look all around the room, too high you get a gap. Mine ended up being 1/2 inch, scrap pieces of drywall worked great as the spacers.
-Brian
Just use a piece of the molding laying flat on the ground with the wide edge against the wall. I've been doing it that way and have never had a problem.

Brian V wrote:

Ditto on the 1/2"
Harold wrote:

Of course there is always the alternative. Put the carpet down and then the molding.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
You want some room to match heights when going around a corner into old construction. The baseboard there might not match what you're putting in.