baseboard heat & oil boiler temp

2 questions

1 room in my house is colder than rest. the baseboard run is long but there is a great disparity in the temp the baseboard gets from one end to the other. anything I can do? already tried bleading

the other is I noticed that the temp on the furnace always says less than 100 deg. even though the controle box on the furnace (correct name) says its set between 140 and 220 w a 10deg diff. the house stays warm and the furnace does go on and off (staying warm) even when heat is off. is it possible the temp is wrong on the funace? can I check myself? If it is the controle box can i change that myself? can it be a thermostat for the controle box?

i guess thats more than 2

thanks jim

Reply to
mbunatank

Assuming the water temperature is correct, it is losing too much heat along the way. You can balance the rooms by closing the dampers on the baseboard in other rooms along the way.

You don't have a furnace. Furnaces heat air. If you have water (or steam) and baseboard, you have a boiler.

Baseboard is usually happy at about 140 to 180. You do NOT want to go above

180. Something does not sound right here. I wold not trust the reading of 100 either. Get a meat thermometer and tape it to the pipe and see what it reads. While not perfect, it will give you some indication if the 100 reading is wrong.

It can be a lot of things, such as aquastat, thermostats, limit switches. Bite the bullet and call a pro. Expect to pay $100 and up depending on what is needed. Has the boiler been cleaned this year? It should be done about every 1000 to 1200 gallons of oil And please, stop calling it a furnace. It is a boiler with a burner.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You could crank up the aquastat setting, and see if the boiler keeps the temp close to it. Check with an accurate thermometer- the actual temperature of the water coming out of the water-jacket, with circ-pump running.

The water is pumped in a loop through the radiators, and the return, at the circ pump, shouldn't normally be more than 30 deg cooler than when it left the boiler. You could have parts of the main loop bypassed, and you could have blockages, pump problems, whatever. Might make $ & sense to call a trusted plumber to go over the system, and splain to you its care & feeding.

barry

Id ecpect that the temp is wrong because the pipe is damb hot. about the furnace/boiler thing - I knew that - brain fart. Yes it has been cleaned. but that one room half the baseboard gets hot the other half takes quite a while to get past warm. rest of house fine.

Reply to
mbunatank

Are they both on the same loop? That sound strange if you have flow. I'd suspect a circulation problem more than a boiler problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

same loop.

the baseboard is older baseray also cast iron built patially into wall w a reflective barrier behind.

Reply to
mbunatank

The design of a baseboard heater is to release the heat from the hot water into the room. As the water gets closer to the boiler, it gets colder.

That's doing what it's supposed to do. If you want the baseboard to stay the same temp the entire length, you'd have to insulate it (wrap it in fiberglass, and blankets).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon