Base for Blue Stone Walk

All -
I've done most of my excavation for my walk, but wanted to know how smooth I need my dirt before I add my base material for compaction.
I'm guessing I can hide some sins under the base material, is this right? or must I have my final slope and a totally smooth finish on the dirt before I start adding base material?
El Penguini