Base Cabinets parallel to wood floor?

I am installing cabinets in my kitchen. The kitchen has maple hardwood floors that are probably almost 90 years old (house was built in 1915) and in very good shape. I have already hung the wall cabinets and am in the process of installing the base cabinets. Do I try to align the cabinets to the wall or do I try to align them with the planks of the hard wood floor? I will be having either a granite or silestone countertop installed after I'm done.

Reply to
balboni

Your main focus should be making sure your base cabinets are level (both front to back and side to side) and aligned with the cabinet beside it. I find in all older houses, you can count on the floors being off level, and the walls being off plumb. There will be a need for shimming for the floors and walls. Unless you are putting some sort of trim on the kick panels you have to do the best you can with the bottoms, but the back of the base cabinets should be shimmed to steady them. Having never used Granite as a counter top I would imagine there isn't much chance of trimming to fit, and I don't know about silverstone either.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock