Base and Sand for pavers

Does anyone know the material that I would use for a base for pavers laid in sand? I did a previous job and used pea gravel, but I think crushed stone would make a more sturdy base. Anyone know what type to ask for? And as for the sand, there is some kind that hardens up, yet is still flexible. What is the name of that material?

Reply to
Steve

Ploymeric(sp?) sand is used to fill in around pavers, then sprayed with water, and allowed to set, repeat if needed, until the sand has set.

Stan

Reply to
Stan

Base material will vary according to whatever is available in your community. In my area they do not use sand because ants move into it and spend their life moving the sand from under the pavers to above. The ideal material local installers use is "Limestone screenings" this is the fine dust and very small gravel that is washed out of "washed" limestone gravel after they crush the limestone into gravel. The screenings are easy to spread and compact readily. Once installed, compaction, water and time allows it to set hard similar to soft concrete.

Reply to
EXT

Base rock (3/4 minus) should be used under the sand. Four to six inches after compacting (compact no more than 3 inches at a time) - this will result in a very stable base. Then 1 inch of leveled river sand (1" pvc works well for this). Then set your pavers and finally a very fine (#30?) sand in between pavers. To level-out the pavers, use plate compactor for a final pass after all the materials are down. Then seal with a high quality sealer to keep the weeds from growing in between pavers.

Reply to
M.Paul