Base and casing installation

I'm going to replace the casing and base molding in a bedroom. The room has a plush rug that is in perfect condition. The current base molding is the usual 1/2" thick builder stuff. The new base going in is 1"by stock.
Has anybody had to replace the molding in a room when the rug stays in place? Just curious what I should look out for before I start tearing out the old stuff.
Thanks for your advice.

Your new baseboard will extend out from the wall and partially cover the tack strip that holds the carpet down. You (or the installer) will have a hard time when you replace the carpet.
As far as removing the old trim: * Cut the old caulk seam with a utility knife. This will save your paint. * Drive a stiff putty knife behind the baseboard next to the door casing. * Gently pry out far enough to get a slim pry bar behind. (Buy a slim pry bar designed for trim.) * Find the next stud, and pry out again. Nails will mainly be driven at studs.
If you don't want to save the old molding, just rip it out any old way after cutting the caulk seam.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

These things are great for lots of things and can be found at any hardware store. http://www.toolking.com/grip-on-tools_60238.aspx

It's not a big deal at all. The carpet is supposed to tuck under the base molding and since you're molding is a little bit thicker there won't be any problem.

The OP said the new base will be made from 1x stuff, so it's only 1/4" thicker. There won't be a problem unless the tack strip was placed closer than normal to the walls and the OP really mashes down on the carpet with the new base. Note to OP: don't really mash down on the carpet with the new base.