Barking Dog

Page 1 of 2
I know this is not the right newsgroup to post this but I remember reading something like this here years ago. Where would one go to find the local codes or ordinance's for barking dogs? Local Police Dept.? or the Town Offices?
gntry wrote:

Either one shoud help, or poit you towards the one that will. If you're going to call your police department, make sure you look up the "non-emergency" number in your local phone book, if there's one thing that will get you off on the wrong foot it's using 911 for something like that.
Personally, I would stop by your municipal office building if that's possible with your schedule. Talk in poerson, put a face on a name, you never know when somebody might be asking for your vote.
--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.
I-zheet M'drurz wrote:

(sigh) I gotta either get a new keyboard or turn the spell checker back on.
--
So if you meet me, have some courtesy,
have some sympathy, and some taste.

Not a direct answer to your question, but if you've got a barking dog problem, have a polite talk with the owner about it..."You're probably used to your dog barking, but it really bothers me (my wife, my kids, whatever)..." You'll probably achieve your goal faster that way than any other.
KB
Don't ever-EVER be affraid to call your local sheriffs departments... THAT IS what your tax dollars buy!
but, what I-Zheet said is true. Don't call your local sheriff on the 9-11 hotline... not for a dog barking.
Best wishes, Dave

departments...
dog
I've never had an issue with this. I just say "this in not an emergency". They say "how can I help you" and I get connected to the right people.
Bob

In out borough, the published local number is forwarded to the 911.
When I wanted to find out about the pooper-scooper law, i called the borough office. The secretary was most helpful. She told me the relevant sections and read me the code verbatim.
--
be safe.
flip

One night a few years ago we had not just one barking dog but several who had formed a pack and were running around raising hell in various front yards on my block. There was way too much noise to sleep (this was around midnight) and frankly I was afraid to go outside. Animal Control had long since closed down for the night and the police dispatcher I talked to flat out told me they weren't going to do anything about it. So I just had to ignore it until the pack finally decided to move on to another block and make noise there instead. Probably they were local dogs who had gotten loose somehow and *maybe* they were harmless but there was no way I was going outside to find out.
So by all means call the cops, but don't be too stunned if they tell you to go piss up a rope. Depending on where you live, they may have better things to do...
-- Bob

Here is what I did. When the neighbors dog started barking, I would take table scraps, saved for such a occasions, and throw them over the fence while saying "Shut Up" over and over again. Now when the dog barks I open the back door and hollow "Shut Up" and he stops barking. Of course the dog is waiting for something to come over the fence but it dose shut him up.
--
When Replying Remove "thepin" From Return Address

says...

Wouldn't that train the dog to bark when he wanted something to eat? (dog barks=food appears)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Yes, that was a concern I had. I was afraid the dog may be training me to bring him food when he was hungry:>)
--
When Replying Remove "thepin" From Return Address

neighbor took me to court once barking dog
Judge drove by my home before hand, so he had to ask, where do you keep the dog. Dog lives in rear family room during work day with a side door ajar to go do its duties in a small fenced area. Judge asked neighbor when does this dog bark ? She replied every time she talks to it.
Judge wasn't very nice to her - his bottom line to her was, if you had spoke with your neighbor about their barking dog I'm sure they would have obliged somehow and silenced it. You've now wasted this young man time as he's taken time of from work to come here and have cost many dollars of the whole court system which comes out of our pockets - yours, mine and every city citizen has paid for your pestering of this dog. Be thankful that dog barks as its offering security to everyone and you're getting that security for free. And if you go near that dogs fence, I'm ordering you - do not talk to that dog !

Contact your local police and ask for Animal Control. They may have a brochure on local codes and regulations and provide you with a copy.
Phisherman wrote:

Or if he lives in any modern area, the code may be on the municipal's official website, as mine is.
53-4. Prohibitions.
It shall be unlawful for any owner of or any person harboring any dog to permit or allow such dog while in the Town of XXXXXXXXX to:
A. Engage in habitual loud howling or barking or to conduct itself in such a manner as to annoy any person other than the owner or person harboring such dog. Continuous or intermittent howling or barking for more than 1/2 hour shall be presumptively a violation of this article.
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:57:42 -0400, Bill Schnakenberg

Ours is similar. But to submit a complaint about a barking dog, two persons of different addresses must state the complaint in writing. Without two, a complaint is ignored. :(
I am suprised at all the responses from this. First let's set the record straight. I love animals, Dogs have been around my life since I was a kid. I have spoken to the dog owner, although she is old and very nice, she seems a bit out of touch with the real world. she states that she knows her dog barks but she's only 4 yrs. old and still a puppy! She states that it's only "XX" time (as if it's allowed to bark until 9pm at night) Another one was "well that's what dogs do!" let me tell you all, this dog is hyper, she barks at leaves that fly by in the wind, she barks at anything that walks by the house, I mean not just bark as if to say hey, I'm watching you, but barks for 10 minutes after the person is long gone, she runs from one side to the other side of the yard just barking. People I talk to seem miffed when I explain that it isn't just 5 or 10 minutes of barking. This mutt barks from the time she opens the door till the time she let's her back in. There are times we can hear her barking from inside the house banging into the door to get out. laugh at this but this dog barks when she is doing her business! I'm leaning towards a drive by sniper hit!
I know this is not the right newsgroup to post this but I remember reading something like this here years ago. Where would one go to find the local codes or ordinance's for barking dogs? Local Police Dept.? or the Town Offices?

Shoot the owner, not the dog. The owner knows better, the dog is a stupid animal...
Point out to the owner that for the cost of a $50 bark collar, she can solve the problem. On the other hand, animal control or the police can force her to solve the problem, probably costing much more (in hassle and $) than the easy solution.

The dog is bored. It either needs another pooch to keep it company or it needs a job.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

that walks by

you, but

from one side

Another dog is just more motivation for barking. My neighbor proved that.
Bob

Really ? Never seen that happen to a bored pooch. Usually they will start playing, etc as they have something to do.
Maybe the neighbor needs training.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner