Bare-Bones X10

I need to implement some bare-bones X10 functions... contact closure on one side of house closes a relay on the other side.

Trying to sort out the X10 sites is confusing.

Lots of expensive/who-needs-it features.

Can someone point me to "bare-bones" ?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Neil

radio shack

Reply to
mark Ransley

Repost on comp.home.automation

John

Reply to
John

You can do that with just two parts.

Check out smarthome.com

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

x10 on ebay is usually cheaper

Reply to
joe

I'm not sure if this is the cheapest source, but this is the simplest X10 transmitter:

You can use any standard X10 relay module to control line voltage loads. Or this one for dry contacts:

Paul Hovnanian P.E.

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com (Jim Thompson):

Hi Jim, I bet you don't want to learn PIC programming, but if you (or your son) is handy with uC's, then give this comprehensive writeup a shot:

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark Jones

Comprehensive would be about the right word for that sheet! I don't like PIC's (I like AVR's much better), but I have to give Microchip credit for some of its data sheets along with some of their other IC's.

Reply to
Jeff

Good comment. I was suggesting them as a source of information about what is available, but I did not make that clear. I do tend to buy from them as well as they are not too high and I have experience with them and trust them.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

For new X-10 devices, try

. I have yet to find lower prices anywhere else and install a lot of those types of controls.

Reply to
Nukie Poo

Here is what I've used:

Transmitter: X10 Powerhouse Powerflash Interface Activated by 6v to 18v AC/DC/Audio or contact closure

Receiver: X10 Appliance Modules Relay output controls 120vAC at 20A
or

Receiver: X10 Powerhouse Universal Module Outputs contact closure for up to 30vAC Momentary (1.5-2.5 sec) or continuous "ON" Alarm Beep "on" or "off"

Ken Moffett

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:30:08 -0500, "John"

Reply to
Jim Thompson

The original X10 superimposes a high frequency carrier-current signal on the line voltage. Some of the modules now use RF. Either way, no added wiring, but with the carrier current method you need to have somewhere to plug in both sides.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The "universal" modules

have contact closure outputs.

There are plug-in controllers

(and others
wireless controllers (for 16 devices
and others
Wireless controllers need a wireless transceiver

There is also a plug-in module with an RS-232 interface

More about me:
Palm/C/PowerBasic source code:
for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
the Wiz

Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.

Reply to
hamilton

I bought an X10 alarm system and still can't get all the alarms to trip. I tried various troubleshooting methods and devices with no luck. I would go with RF devices. I wish I could return the whole system.

Reply to
Houseslave

[Followup set to sci.electronics.misc]

X10 (and any powerline system) has to deal with sites that are served by multiple phases. The alarms that aren't tripping may be on a different phase than the host box.

Reply to
Rich Webb

It actually sends a signal burst right around the 60 Hz zero crossing point. X10 will work across both legs of a single phase 240 V circuit, either through the distribution transformer secondary, some 240V loads or a special coupling capacitor. You'll need a special (or should I say $pecial) repeater to use it between separate legs of a three phase system.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

In news:JBjub.30598$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca (Jeff):

It really is a great example of assembly programming and X10 specification. Someday, if I ever get these other projects done... I might consider building an X10 controller system. Lot of work though, you're right. :)

Reply to
Mark Jones