Bare-Bones X10

Page 1 of 2
I need to implement some bare-bones X10 functions... contact closure on one side of house closes a relay on the other side.
Trying to sort out the X10 sites is confusing.
Lots of expensive/who-needs-it features.
Can someone point me to "bare-bones" ?
Thanks!
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

radio shack
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote in message

Here is what I've used:
Transmitter: X10 Powerhouse Powerflash Interface Activated by 6v to 18v AC/DC/Audio or contact closure http://www.smarthome.com/4060.html
Receiver: X10 Appliance Modules Relay output controls 120vAC at 20A http://www.smarthome.com/2002s.html
or
Receiver: X10 Powerhouse Universal Module Outputs contact closure for up to 30vAC Momentary (1.5-2.5 sec) or continuous "ON" Alarm Beep "on" or "off" http://www.smarthome.com/x10contacts.html
Repost on comp.home.automation
John

You can do that with just two parts.
Check out smarthome.com
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
x10 on ebay is usually cheaper

Good comment. I was suggesting them as a source of information about what is available, but I did not make that clear. I do tend to buy from them as well as they are not too high and I have experience with them and trust them.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

For new X-10 devices, try http://www.worthdist.com/ . I have yet to find lower prices anywhere else and install a lot of those types of controls.

Strange coming from me... I buy everything, but how does X10 work? I only need to create a switch path thru an un-wireable location... like 30' of concrete patio.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

The original X10 superimposes a high frequency carrier-current signal on the line voltage. Some of the modules now use RF. Either way, no added wiring, but with the carrier current method you need to have somewhere to plug in both sides.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

It actually sends a signal burst right around the 60 Hz zero crossing point. X10 will work across both legs of a single phase 240 V circuit, either through the distribution transformer secondary, some 240V loads or a special coupling capacitor. You'll need a special (or should I say $pecial) repeater to use it between separate legs of a three phase system.
note to spammers: a Washington State resident
Jim Thompson wrote:

An X10 controller creates a 121 kHz carrier, superimposed on the 60 hZ AC line. At the 60 hZ 0 crossing, the system sends pulses of that carrier frequency, containing an address and a command. The address tells which remote X10 device to respond, and the command tells it how to respond.
An X10 wireless system consists of an RF transmitter, that sends a code to an X10 transceiver. The transceiver receives the RF, decodes it into address and command, and then operates the same way as the controller. In addition, the transceiver can act as an X10 remote device, controlling whatever is connected to it according the command whenever it is addressed. to send pulses out to the X10 devices.

Actually, it sends three one millisecond pulses over a cycle of the power, 1/180th a second apart. One for each zero crossing of the three possible phases. One bit takes two cycles, with the data sent at the zero crossings and it's complement the next cycle. Total data rate including overhead is something like 22 bits per second.
Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident
Jim Thompson wrote:

I'm not sure if this is the cheapest source, but this is the simplest X10 transmitter:
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/psc01.page12.html
You can use any standard X10 relay module to control line voltage loads. Or this one for dry contacts:
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/pum01.phh02.page10.html
note to spammers: a Washington State resident
In (Jim Thompson):

Hi Jim, I bet you don't want to learn PIC programming, but if you (or your son) is handy with uC's, then give this comprehensive writeup a shot:
http://www.microchip.com/download/appnote/pic16/00236a.pdf
Regards, Mark

Comprehensive would be about the right word for that sheet! I don't like PIC's (I like AVR's much better), but I have to give Microchip credit for some of its data sheets along with some of their other IC's.
In (Jeff):

It really is a great example of assembly programming and X10 specification. Someday, if I ever get these other projects done... I might consider building an X10 controller system. Lot of work though, you're right. :)

The "universal" modules http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_um506.htm have contact closure outputs.
There are plug-in controllers http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_mc460.htm (and others http://www.x10.com/automation/product_plug_controllers.htm ) and wireless controllers (for 16 devices http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_hr12a.htm ) and others http://www.x10.com/automation/product_wireless_remotes.htm
Wireless controllers need a wireless transceiver http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_tm751.htm .
There is also a plug-in module with an RS-232 interface http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_tw523.htm
More about me: http://www.jecarter.com / VB3/VB6/NSBasic Palm/C/PowerBasic source code: http://www.jecarter.com/programs.html Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras: http://home.earthlink.net/~mwbt / johnecarter at@at mindspring dot.dot com. Fix the obvious to reply by email.
history of X-10
http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb99/articles/kingery/kingery13.htm