BARD condensing unit

Page 3 of 3

I installed a new Bard unit for a customer last year and that unit drew air in from the sides and blew it through the condenser coil away from the AC. If you think about it, that's the only way that makes sense. The other AC units that blow through the condenser coil are the roof top camper/RV air conditioners that have the white sloped front covers. With sensitive enough instrumentation one could possibly measure the added thrust to the Winnebago. An afterburner would be a nice touch for passing those 18 wheelers.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Thnks guys
Had a reply from Bill at Bard who confirmed that indeed, it's a "blow through coil" system, taking air from the back, cross the motor and pushing out through the coils.
I spent all afternoon telling my HVAC "expert" that -- who was obviously annoyed everytime I brought it up. They wanted to install a new unit for 1877.00 (which hopefully I won't have to do).
Fact remains though, I cool for about 5 minutes and that's it. Everything checks out -- freon is good.
Question --
Can a compressor be borderline and show these symptoms?
I thought today I would put the motor back to CCW where it belongs and run a water hose over the compressor to see if it helps? good - bad idea?
Heat exchanger is fine the pressure is where it supposed to be. ??
Michael wrote:

Do Not run water over your compressor while there is power to the compressor. You can easily short out the compressor and if anyone is close to the unit, they can be hurt.
If you have to run water over the compressor you have a major problem.
When you say heat exchange are you talking condensing unit?
Some of the older condensing units used R-12 or R-22, do you know which refrigerant it is using?
It really sounds that your HVAC people are right in wanting to replace the unit.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

"Cools for 5 minutes"... what's that mean? The complete system shuts down? Just the condensing unit stops running? Just the compressor stops running? System continues to run with no cooling?
"Refrigerant is good"? How do you/they know? Has anything ever been done to the refrigerant circuit?
This unit had a new motor installed (running backwards), then you called a company and they corrected that issue. It's been running fine for 2 1/2 years.
Now what's going on with the unit, that made you question it's operation? You never said in your original post that you were having problems with it. Just that you wanted to know which way the airflow was supposed to flow.
Paul Harvey, TELL US "THE REST OF THE STORY"!!!!! Cause, if everything checks out, you wouldn't be here.

What symptoms, you haven't give enough information about your problem to even make a wild ass guess.

The airflow needs to be corrected!!!!!! Then and ONLY then, will ANYONE be able to further diagnose your unit. The compressor doesn't require water or airflow for cooling purposes. It's cooled by the returning refrigerant.

"Heat exchanger"? Evaporator (inside coil)? Condenser (outside coil)?
Pressures? Refrigerant pressures? If so, how do you/they know? What's the superheat? What's the subcooling? How many amps is the compressor pulling? What's the RLA for the compressor?
These are just some of the items that your servicing dealer should be obtaining to correctly diagnose your unit.
But first, we need to know the complete story, Clyde.
The motor ran the wrong direction for about 30 minutes when it was first installed 2 years ago.
It HAS been running the right direction.
I only asked because the first thing the HVAC guy said yeaterday when he came out that the motor needed reversing.
HE WAS WRONG....end of story.
I have other issues with it but I'll get to the bottom of it.
End of story.
Why is that an HVAC "expert" (who got me for 300 bucks) is not familiar with the "blow through" coil design?
Albeit, they are not commonplace, BUT --
"a fair question".
and a pisser, I might add.

Why was he there... what was the complaint?

I thought you wanted help?

Don't know, ask them. Or better yet, ask his boss! And then ask to have a competent tech come back and diagnose the real problem. For free, as you have already paid for it!

It is for horizontal discharge units.