Bar oil for electric chain saw.

Page 2 of 2

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:58:52 -0800, "Steve B"

Yes. Never hurts to have an ole pump oil can around. Squirt some "erl" on the blade and chain. Rotate the blade a few turns as you do this, wipe away "dripping" oil. It helps prevet all this "slinging" oil problem.
<snipped>
You still in Sin City, Bubba? Going there Friday.
Steve
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:30:42 -0800, "Steve B"

Bring me a case of vine ripe tomatoes.
wrote

Got laid up, and the greenhouse is still on the list. My neighbor has just a visqueen greenhouse, and he was getting tomatoes VERY early last year. I will check, and ping you in the group. I thought I was coming Friday, but the CC&R's on the property aren't available yet. May be next week.
Steve
willshak wrote:

tomorrow. I

electric chain

electrics?
I have an electric chain saw with a piss poor bar oiler. It runs out on the floor when you are not using it or else it clogs and won't oil anything. I use an oil can to lubricate the bar. It's a Remington 3.0 hp and cuts like a champ. I love the way it cuts, just hate the oiler.
--
LSMFT

willshak wrote the following:

Thanks to all responding. I'll use the bar oil I have. To LSMFT. I forgot where I read it ( it could have been here) but regarding the bar oil leaking out of the saw when stored, the remedy is to store the saw, with the bar end up, to keep the oil from leaking onto the blade, shelf, and floor. I haven't done it yet, my chain saw died a couple of years ago and I haven't needed a saw until this storm. I bought the pole saw for the tree branches that are split and hanging down onto my shed, walk, and driveway. I'll wait until the snow melts down to a foot or less to get a gas chain saw for those branches and downed trees in the back yard that are too far from electric outlets and are not posing any current interference with moving around.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

A lot of saws have a hole drilled in the end of the bar that the saw can be hung from. If not, drill one, just make sure you don't hit the chain roller. That will put the oil tank in the down position, and the hole in the up position. Makes it handy to store and take up less space, too.
Steve

Same stuff. As a side note, there is a difference in two stroke oils, one being for air cooled engines, and the other for water cooled engines. I'd say use the air cooled two stroke oil when you mix gas for your chain saw. You will not be able to use it in the electric saw, but it WILL work better for your regular chain saw. <g>
Steve
Years ago, my small engine repair instructor told us the "outboard engine" gas mix oil won't hand the higher temperatures of air cooled engines.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Same stuff. Get yourself a pack of pipe cleaners to keep the oil channel clean. If you can ever find a tube brush that small, they work great.
Steve

I have not checked it out, but have read that the Bar oil is made to break down and not harm nature. Good for the environment , where regular motor type oil is bad for the environment. If it were not for that, just about any oil would be ok .
Same stuff. Marketed by the people who sell tire pressure gages, and next to that "Radial tire... pressure gage". The radial gage costs a buck more.
Bar and chain oil is more sticky, and better for use with chainsaws.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 3/2/2010 11:15 PM, willshak wrote:

What's the manual say?
Mine says use 10w-30 motor oil. Bar & chain oil for gas machines may be too thick for an electric.