Bar oil for electric chain saw.

I have an electric McCulloch pole chain saw being delivered tomorrow. I have bar oil for a gas chain saw. Can it be used in an electric chain saw or is there a different (viscosity) bar oil for electrics?

Reply to
willshak

It should work fine, that's what I use in my electric chain saw without any problems.

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

=3D=3D The bar oil for the gas chain saw will be fine. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

The chain and bar does the exact same thing regardless of the type of motor driving it, so your answer is YES. I have an electric chain saw and I use the standard chain oil. I have never seen any special kind sold for electric models. Of course the manual will probably tell you to only use the McCulloch brand oil, but we all know they want you to buy their brand..... It's pretty much all the same.

Reply to
parkavenue

The manual that came with mine said to use 30weight motor oil.

That said- I use what I have & just make sure it is oiling the bar.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Unless the manual says differently, regular bar and chain oil is fine.

Do note that most of the electric ones do not have an auto oilier so you need to pump it a couple of strokes each time and the tightness of the oil cap affects the flow.

Reply to
Colbyt

There's no such thing as "bar oil for a gas chain saw". It's just "bar oil". For any kind of chain saw. What you have will work just fine.

Reply to
Doug Miller

tomorrow. I

electric chain

electrics?

I have an electric chain saw with a piss poor bar oiler. It runs out on the floor when you are not using it or else it clogs and won't oil anything. I use an oil can to lubricate the bar. It's a Remington 3.0 hp and cuts like a champ. I love the way it cuts, just hate the oiler.

Reply to
LSMFT

-snip-

I've got 2- one on a pole- both cheapies-- and both have (lousy) auto-oilers. Both get stored in buckets as whatever oil is left in them after a job runs out.

But for $30-40 I still like the little toys.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

willshak wrote the following:

Thanks to all responding. I'll use the bar oil I have. To LSMFT. I forgot where I read it ( it could have been here) but regarding the bar oil leaking out of the saw when stored, the remedy is to store the saw, with the bar end up, to keep the oil from leaking onto the blade, shelf, and floor. I haven't done it yet, my chain saw died a couple of years ago and I haven't needed a saw until this storm. I bought the pole saw for the tree branches that are split and hanging down onto my shed, walk, and driveway. I'll wait until the snow melts down to a foot or less to get a gas chain saw for those branches and downed trees in the back yard that are too far from electric outlets and are not posing any current interference with moving around.

Reply to
willshak

I have an electric saw I use extensively and all it see's for oil is red transmission oil never skipped a beat since 1993, used same chain and has been a reliable saw (Remington) Jim

Reply to
Jim

Same stuff. As a side note, there is a difference in two stroke oils, one being for air cooled engines, and the other for water cooled engines. I'd say use the air cooled two stroke oil when you mix gas for your chain saw. You will not be able to use it in the electric saw, but it WILL work better for your regular chain saw.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Same stuff. Get yourself a pack of pipe cleaners to keep the oil channel clean. If you can ever find a tube brush that small, they work great.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If that is the case, then you can just use a thicker weight auto engine oil. It's a damn sight cheaper.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A lot of saws have a hole drilled in the end of the bar that the saw can be hung from. If not, drill one, just make sure you don't hit the chain roller. That will put the oil tank in the down position, and the hole in the up position. Makes it handy to store and take up less space, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Any lighter weight oil will do. I often use the cheap transmission oil as another poster also said. In the winter it doesn't get as thick. But I'll put just about anything in, left over power steering or brake fluid, motor cycle fork oil, etc.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yes, but it's not the same stuff. Bar and chain oil is stickier. You can use motor oil, but you use a lot more of it because it gets slung off the chain faster.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Any lighter weight oil will do. I often use the cheap transmission oil as another poster also said. In the winter it doesn't get as thick. But I'll put just about anything in, left over power steering or brake fluid, motor cycle fork oil, etc.

reply: Thank you. I learned something. That makes my day, learning something every day. There have been times when I was out of bar oil and didn't run my saw. Now, I'll use bar oil when I have it, and use other things, which I have several gallons of, when I don't have bar oil. BTW, I bought a gallon of bar oil whilst at the local farm supply house on sale, still high in price with relations to other lubricating fluids.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Years ago, my small engine repair instructor told us the "outboard engine" gas mix oil won't hand the higher temperatures of air cooled engines.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Same stuff. Marketed by the people who sell tire pressure gages, and next to that "Radial tire... pressure gage". The radial gage costs a buck more.

Bar and chain oil is more sticky, and better for use with chainsaws.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon