banging steam pipe

I just drained a radiator to eliminate banging, but it didn't work as well as I hoped. I also removed the valve and put some teflon around the stem, because it leaked I see from a stain.

There was another radiator on this extension on the floor below, but it was removed years ago. I haven't checked the valve. It's now inside a small cabinet. I have to move it.

Could the pipe be clogged? The pipe system is undoubtably 70 years old. Any thoughts?

John

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Is it one pipe steam, if so it should never have water in it, most likely it is not pitched to drain the water. It should not be level but pitched to the pipe, check with a level to be sure its not level.

Reply to
ransley

for steam problems try

post in the forum

Andrew Is it one pipe steam, if so it should never have water in it, most likely it is not pitched to drain the water. It should not be level but pitched to the pipe, check with a level to be sure its not level.

Reply to
AndrewV

The banging is from water in the pipe. Is this something new? Could a pipe have sagged and is now holding some water? You may also have a blocked vent on a radiator allowing water to build up as it tries to fill with steam.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The relief valve or the on/off valve?

Teflon tape or teflon packing?

If you've only seen the stain, below the relief valve, you don't know if the water is leaking around the stem or through the valve itself. I've had water coming out the vent hole, I guess it was, in the valve itself.

Reply to
mm

They bang from water slamming into the incoming steam, try shimming up both ends of the radiator to raise the pipe that connects it, but even better if you shim the side away from the supply pipe even higher so the radiator itself is pitched to drain.

Reply to
beecrofter

The system pipes are pitched properly. The radiator is also quite pitched. It didn't drain very much water when I pull it off the piping. The valve on the radiator wasn't very tight, so the teflon sealed it up. But I am willing to believe the valve is bad. It is one of those adjustable ones.