Bamboo Floating Floor?

I purchased some 3-1/4" x 36" bamboo tongue and groove nail down flooring from an auction. The room in the old house has half particle board subfloor, and half hardwood flooring from the 1950's which had dips as much as 1/2". I have used leveling compound and made it level. I tried driving flooring staples through a test piece with level compound and I get cracking - I think this could cause problems, like crackling when walking under that area. Also have been told by flooring people that particle board is not a good subfloor to nail into, as over time, may likely loosen and produce gaps in the flooring.
So I thought of floating the floor and glueing the tongue and groove, with a 1/8" foam underlay. I have talked to a few suppliers and some say this can be done using a resilient glue. Others have said the bamboo slats are designed for nail down and if you glue them tongue and groove, they will eventually come apart - because the tongue and the groove are not designed tight enough, and there is no guarantee the glue will interface properly. I find that hard to swallow, as the tongue and groove have little room, and glue will surely spread well and cover the surfaces. Info on the internet seems to say that you can float bamboo floors. Does anybody out there have experience with floating a bamboo floor? What type or brand would you use?
Thanks, Henry
snipped-for-privacy@telus.net (henry) wrote in

You need to follow the manufacturers recommendations. Nobody elses. I would get rid of the particle board anyway, nothing permanent should go over it, it turns to mush first time it gats wet.
That said, there are a lot of problems with bamboo, it does not make an ideal floor. Problems with nailing(it is a grass!) and finishing.
Agreed - one shall not be nailing floors to particle board, all plank manufacturers and floor installers I know say that.
tweaked <vvv> wrote:

--
Alex Safonov
safonov [around] cs umn edu
tweaked <vvv> wrote in message

Unfortunately, when you buy stuff at an auction, there is no support provided. I could not source the manufacturer either. All said and done, I have chosen to float these floors, gluing the tongue and grooves together, and installing an underlay. I have tested one piece so far and it seems to be really holding well - I could not break them apart, even by putting a lot of my weight on it - so it might stand a chance of working out. Will do the whole floor tomorrow. Let you know how it goes after a week or so.
Lowes sells a bamboo topped pergo floor called "Bambo", but they have problems with delivery. Not sure to trust them or not because their license is suspended. They are operated by a bunch of females from San Diego Ca, and owned by a company called:
WNM INTERNATIONAL, INC. Number: C2098514 Date Filed: 12/28/1998 Status: suspended Jurisdiction: California Mailing Address 16955 VIA DEL CAMPO #260 SAN DIEGO, CA 92127 Agent for Service of Process LINDA WANG 16955 VAI DEL CAMPO #260 SAN DIEGO, CA 92127
and connected with:
AIM INTERNATIONAL Number of Businesses 002 Business Name AIM INTERNATIONAL Business Name AMG TECHNOLOGIES Number of Owners 001 Owner GINN ANGELA M
with:
Primary Business Name A I M INTERNATIONAL INC Number of Businesses 001 Business Name A I M INTERNATIONAL INC Number of Owners 001 Owner WNM INTERNATIONAL INC Filing Date (CCyy/MM/DD) 19990628 Expiration Date(CCyy/MM/DD) 20040628 Business Conducted By Corporation
However, A I M INTERNATIONAL is not the same AIM International, so there could be some fraud here too.
And... AMG Technologies is owned by:
AMG TECHNOLOGIES, INC. Number: C2377412 Date Filed: 1/14/2002 Status: active Jurisdiction: California Mailing Address 2319 SUSAN STREET SANTA ANA, CA 92704 Agent for Service of Process TONY LAM 3400 W WARNER #A SANTA ANA, CA 92704