Bam! Garage door over-the-door torsion spring snapped! How to replace?

Page 7 of 7
On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:49:37 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

Thanks for the pointer.
That DDM 1-spring-to-2-springs page is fantastic.
I had opted for one spring with a very high duty cycle; but, in hindsight, I SHOULD have opted for the more balanced set of two springs (which wouldn't even have cost any more).
It turns out that the one spring is twisting my bearing plate off the wall!

Two springs would not have twisted the plate because they would cancel each other out. Sigh.
Lesson learned (too late) after the fact!
Danny D. wrote:

Nah, the same amount of force is distributed across the torsion bar. That's why I told you to prepare to re-lag the bearing plate instead of going back in the same holes @ the same angle. If you angle the lags in to get more 'bite' in the header, it will hold better.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:51:20 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

I think you're right. A garage door isn't so simple anymore.
Dan at DDM Garage Doors says my real problem is that the cable drum ends do not have the end bearing plate securely fixed. He's gonna send me some angle iron and 7/16ths head 3-inch lag screws to secure the sides.
He says the middle can't move unless the sides let it move. I'm still trying to understand that - as it's not intuitive at all to me that the ends are what is making the middle bend.
Here is a picture of the gap on one end:

And, here's a picture of the gap on the other end:

Unfortunately, there is NO STUD beneath those ends!
Danny D. wrote:

You would love it when I go to replace a door and how I 'unwind' the old springs. I just stick a winding bar in there and lift it a couple of inches to let it rest on the door. Then I loosen the locking bolts, get down from the ladder and put vise-grips on the winding bar - shake back and fourth a couple of times and yank it out! Makes a hell of a racket, but it's easier than unwinding it by hand.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:47:50 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

I just tried that with the last quarter turn of unwinding. I simply pulled the bar away - and it spun back to the zero turn level on its own.
It was undramatic - but - of course, that was only the last quarter turn.
I can see that it would work though - but it's just as easy to unwind it 30 quarter turns, IMHO.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 19:44:37 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

BTW, here's a unique tool for winding & unwinding springs: http://dmatools.com/dmatools/SureWinder.aspx
UPDATE:
Here are some pictures after I disassembled the garage door overhead apparatus and tried to shore it up with steel.
Here's the overall picture with the apparatus removed:

Here's is the relocation of the spring anchor plate:

Here is a closeup of that spring anchor plate relocation:

Here is a picture of my attempt to secure the right end plate:

Here I try to shore up the left bearing end plate:

Final update. All done. a) Relocated the spring end plate b) Added a spring end plate bearing c) Reinforced the spring end plate d) Reinforced both bearing end plates
Final results here:

Right bearing end plate here:

Left bearing end plate here:

Spring anchor plate here:

Final update. All done. a) Relocated the spring end plate b) Added a spring end plate bearing c) Reinforced the spring end plate d) Reinforced both bearing end plates
Final results here:

Right bearing end plate here:

Left bearing end plate here:

Spring anchor plate here:

Danny D. wrote:

Yeah, Lol.... I've seen those advertised. No self-respecting doorman would use one!
a) Relocated the spring end plate b) Added a spring end plate bearing c) Reinforced the spring end plate d) Reinforced both bearing end plates
Overall results here: