Ballast Weirdness

About three months ago I replaced the ballast on a ceiling fixture that has two circuline fluorescents - 32W and 40W. It's been fine up until now. Lately, the fixture has been acting strangely in that, occasionally, it takes a minute or so after I flip the switch before it comes on. Usually, it happens the first time it is switched on for the day, although occasionally it happens when I toggle it off and on.
Would this indicate a bad ballast? It is an Advance ballast from Home Depot, the second one. The first one was defective out of the box, and looked like it was installed by someone else and returned (bent wires). Is it a potential hazard?
Have you replaced the bulbs??
I would check the bulbs first. The bad one you return may have been previously used. People use stuff for years, buy a replacement at HD, install the new one and put the old one back in the box and return it to HD for a refund. There no one opens the box until the next customer gets it. I almost bought a used faucet. Fortunately, my wife noticed water dripping out of the box while we were on line at hd.
About three months ago I replaced the ballast on a ceiling fixture that has two circuline fluorescents - 32W and 40W. It's been fine up until now. Lately, the fixture has been acting strangely in that, occasionally, it takes a minute or so after I flip the switch before it comes on. Usually, it happens the first time it is switched on for the day, although occasionally it happens when I toggle it off and on.
Would this indicate a bad ballast? It is an Advance ballast from Home Depot, the second one. The first one was defective out of the box, and looked like it was installed by someone else and returned (bent wires). Is it a potential hazard?
I'll check the bulbs, but I have three of these fixtures around the house and have replaced bulbs many times. Usually when the bulbs are failing, it will start with flickering, with the flickering worsening until the bulb is replaced. This just seems so different. Most of the time it starts right up and is solid as a rock, but every so often, it takes awhile to start, but then once it does start, it is solid as a rock.
Interesting HD story about the faucet. When I bought the first ballast, there were just three on the shelf and they all looked used, so I picked the best of the lot. I got the second ballast from a different, newer, HD. It had about a dozen of the shelf, most of which looked new. The price was terrific, under $20 with tax.

You also might just try removing the bulbs and replacing them several times to clean the contacts. Also check the ground connection. I had all kinds of trouble with a fixture and it turned out to be dirty contacts.

Well, it looks like it was the 32W bulb. After replacing it yesterday, no problems so far. Thanks to you and professorpaul for the suggestion.

Not only clean the ground but make sure that the fixture actually IS grounded. An ungrounded neon will do exactly as you describe. I've stopped counting the neons that I have found without grounds.