ball vs sleeve bearing

Page 1 of 2

Hi,
I'm choosing between two bathroom fans. Very similar, one has ball motor bearing, the other "sleeve". The sleeve one is much quieter, but is there a difference in terms of reliability and durability?
Thanks,
Aaron

Ball bearings are better, sleeve bearings are quieter. In a bathroom fan, it probably doesn't matter, go for the quiet

I doubt bearing noise accounts for 10% of the noise of a ceiling fan. Most of the noise is air cavitation/turbulance.

I agree, and lately I see that many of the really quiet models have gone to 6" ducting
RBM wrote:

I'll wager the sleeve even if quieter initially will produce more in the long run after it wears...
dpb wrote:

If used as instructed, the sleeve is a disposable motor and the ball bearing should last much longer. However the sleeve type most always says it it does not require lubrication, if you do lube it every couple years it may outlast the ball bearing one. Either type can claim to be permanently lubricated but if you are handy and lube them at the first sign of sluggish or noisy operation, they may last for a lifetime.

Broan QTXE "quietest fan in the world". says so right on the box

Sleeve are ok if you re-oil every year or so, but ball bearing should last much longer.
RBM wrote:

But but, what if I want a fan that sounds like a C5 taking off and requires hearing protection to operate?

Funny you should say that. I just installed two Broan fans (not quiet). The customer specifically wanted noisy fans, so people couldn't hear her in the bathroom

*Roy I get that same request every once in a while for the same reason.
on 9/17/2009 6:37 AM (ET) RBM wrote the following:

My reason would be to remember to turn it off when I'm done with whatever reason I needed the fan.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've got two words for ya: ti-mer!
;^)
Eric
RBM wrote:

There are some bathroom fans that have no outlet, the units simply blow air around and make noise. I call them "tinkle maskers".
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Like the kitchen range fans that blow the smoke up to the ceiling, what a joke. I recently installed a new one that is made to be installed either with an exhaust or without. The instructions said that if it is to be installed without an outside exhaust vent, then you need to buy and keep replacing the charcoal filters. IMO, the charcoal filters are about useless. Vent it outside or don't bother. With an outside exhaust vent it only uses a cheap "filter" that keeps hands and things out of the fan blades.

Try your local Home Depot or Lowe's. They have a large selection of that kind of fan!
Eric

Makes me wonder why Lowes/Home Depot does not sell Panasonic fans. I guess I'm not the typical DIY shopper-- I'd much rather buy a quality fan, they don't cost that much more.

Panasonic probably is smart enough to sell to proper dealers than to give in to the price cutting demands of the big box stores.
Goolge up Wal Mart and Vlasic pickle sometime, as well as Wal Mart and Snapper mowers. Once company gave in to their demands and went bankrupt, the other refused and flourished.
Phisherman wrote:

If you want a quality *anything*, you need to look somewhere other than Panasonic or any of the other matsuSHITa brands. I have had the misfortune to use many of their products in many markets over the years and the only one I didn't have problems with was one of their dot matrix printers a few decades ago. Avoid all things matsuSHITa like the plague they are...
Aaron Fude wrote:

If you want a really quiet bathroom exhaust, go with a remote fan where the actual motor and fan is in the attic and the vent or vents connected with flex-duct. Fantech is just one manufacturer of the products.
http://www.fantech.net/bathroom.htm
TDD