ball vs sleeve bearing

Hi,

I'm choosing between two bathroom fans. Very similar, one has ball motor bearing, the other "sleeve". The sleeve one is much quieter, but is there a difference in terms of reliability and durability?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Ball bearings are better, sleeve bearings are quieter. In a bathroom fan, it probably doesn't matter, go for the quiet

Reply to
RBM

Broan QTXE "quietest fan in the world". says so right on the box

Reply to
RBM

I doubt bearing noise accounts for 10% of the noise of a ceiling fan. Most of the noise is air cavitation/turbulance.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Sleeve are ok if you re-oil every year or so, but ball bearing should last much longer.

Reply to
hrhofmann

But but, what if I want a fan that sounds like a C5 taking off and requires hearing protection to operate?

Reply to
Pete C.

If you want a really quiet bathroom exhaust, go with a remote fan where the actual motor and fan is in the attic and the vent or vents connected with flex-duct. Fantech is just one manufacturer of the products.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My Panasonics are pretty quiet

Reply to
Bob F

Funny you should say that. I just installed two Broan fans (not quiet). The customer specifically wanted noisy fans, so people couldn't hear her in the bathroom

Reply to
RBM

I agree, and lately I see that many of the really quiet models have gone to

6" ducting
Reply to
RBM

*Roy I get that same request every once in a while for the same reason.
Reply to
John Grabowski

My reason would be to remember to turn it off when I'm done with whatever reason I needed the fan.

Reply to
willshak

I'll wager the sleeve even if quieter initially will produce more in the long run after it wears...

--

Reply to
dpb

Aaron,

I think the fan design is more important than the type of bearings used in the motor.

I chose Panasonic fans for our house. I had to order them online as no one local carried them. But, they use a squirrel cage type fan instead of an impeller blade and are virtually silent in operation. We have one in our laundry room that runs 12 hours a day as part of our ventilation system (A WA state requirement), and never even know it's on. It's been running five years and is quiet today as the day we installed it.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Try your local Home Depot or Lowe's. They have a large selection of that kind of fan!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

customer specifically

reason I needed the fan.

I've got two words for ya: ti-mer!

;^)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

There are some bathroom fans that have no outlet, the units simply blow air around and make noise. I call them "tinkle maskers".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If used as instructed, the sleeve is a disposable motor and the ball bearing should last much longer. However the sleeve type most always says it it does not require lubrication, if you do lube it every couple years it may outlast the ball bearing one. Either type can claim to be permanently lubricated but if you are handy and lube them at the first sign of sluggish or noisy operation, they may last for a lifetime.

Reply to
Tony

Like the kitchen range fans that blow the smoke up to the ceiling, what a joke. I recently installed a new one that is made to be installed either with an exhaust or without. The instructions said that if it is to be installed without an outside exhaust vent, then you need to buy and keep replacing the charcoal filters. IMO, the charcoal filters are about useless. Vent it outside or don't bother. With an outside exhaust vent it only uses a cheap "filter" that keeps hands and things out of the fan blades.

Reply to
Tony

I found that ball bearing fans outlast the sleave varieties, at least with computer fans. I recommend Panasonic for bathroom fans.

Reply to
Phisherman