Ball Valve Replacement For House Water ?

Hello,
Have a valve inside of the house which is used as a shut-off valve to an outside hose connection. Has to be replaced. It's on a regular 1/2 Cu house water line. Valve is therefore usually all the way Open, or all the way Closed.
In the winter, we shut it Off, and drain the line going to the outside. Pretty typical.
The valve is Not a gate type, which wouldn't shut off completely.
What is is, is the kind that has a rubber washer, and a somewhat circuitous path thru the valve.
Have seen these ball type of valves that have apparently become very popular these days. Guess they have a 90 deg. on to off movement.
Any reason not to use it in place of what's there now ?
Pros and cons ? e.g., when should they, and when should they not, be utilized ?
Thoughts on would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

If I am reading & understanding your post, you have a globe valve that needs to be replaced.
In this situation, winter shutoff, a ball valve is the perfect choice.
But since you current valve is just being used for winter shutoff perhaps an in situ valve rebuild.
cheers Bob

The ball valve is what I use wherever possible. Easier to shut off and more realiable.

Globe valve.

Depends on location. If there is going to be any water left in the line, you need a stop & drain valve. That allows the water to be turned off and the line on the out side to be drained to prevent freezing.
If no water is going to be left in the line, a ball vale will work.
On 9/4/2011 10:22 AM, Bob wrote:

Bob, use a ball valve. Make sure the valve is in the closed position when you solder it on. This is opposite "old school" methods. If you solder it on in the open position, it develops a slight ridge on the ball seat that will not close completely when closed.
On 9/4/2011 11:22 AM, Bob wrote:

As every one else said, a ball valve for main house shutoff. Since my above ground garage water supply is sourced underground from the basement I put in a ball valve shutoff for that as well and immediately after a separate bleeder valve to drain the line for winter.
John
On 9/4/2011 10:22 AM, Bob wrote:

No reason not to use them. 1/4 turn ball valve either sweat into place or compression fit will do just fine.
--
Steve Barker