BALANCING A FRIDGE

There's a ( used ) Magic Chef refrigerator in the house we just moved into.

I'm having a helluva time balancing the temps in the freezer/food compartments. There are two dials... Freezer, and Food Compartment

The food compartment is way too cold. If I try to change the setting, the freezer compartment gets too warm, and foods up there feel half-thawed.

When I turn down the freezer dial to compensate, the food compartment gets too cold again.

???

Reply to
Anonymous

time to call some one to look at it

Reply to
SQLit

One of the controls will say "off", try putting this on the middle number, this is the control that turns the compressor on and off. The other control is used for air distribution. Set that to the center and see how it goes. If adjstment are needed, use the air distribution control and leave the other alone. The unit should have enough food in it to hold the cold and to be able to take the effect of the defrost cycle.

Is the refrigerator in a heated room or is it in the garage or basement?

Reply to
Ed

I have a Magic Chef as well. I have mine set at 3.5 for the freezer and 5.5 for the fridge.

Hope that helps? Rich

Reply to
Rich

I have a Sears branded GE side-by-side. Refrigerated air from the evaporator goes to the freezer compartment. Then a regulated amount of air from the freezer compartment is admitted to the cooling compartment by the control provided for that purpose. Thus, it appears that the correct adjustment procedure is to first adjust the freezer control to obtain the desired temperature and then adjust the cooler control to admit more or less chilled air. Some minor adjustment may then be needed. Maybe this routine will work on your machine. --- SJF

Reply to
SJF

Typically, the refrigerator control is the thermostat, the freezer control opens and closes an air duct from one side to the other.

Like the others say, set the controls in the middle. Change the controls one letter at a time, and wait 24 hours before deciding if you want to change it one more letter.

If you set either control to the max one way or the other, you usually create more trouble than it's worth.

I changed a compressor last week for a very intelligent lady. She called back the next day to tell me the temps were off (20F freezer, 50F refrig). We spent several minutes on the phone, and finally I figured out she turned the controls to max cold, to get the thing going. Wrong thing to do! I suggested she turn them back to where they oughta be, and quit trying to get the machine to do things it's not designed to do. I havn't heard back from her. In the service industry, if they don't call, it's working fine.

Makes me wonder if you've got the knobs reversed, or if you're turning them in the wrong directions? Or if there is some other problem like a bad evaporator fan. Hmm.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was getting worried about fridge temps, bought a $5 fridge thermometer - proved I should worry. Turned out to be a 2 liter pepsi bottle sitting sideways in back of fridge blocking the fridge2freeze duct.

Reply to
bumtracks