balance a washer

My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even if it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to one side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?
Mark Corbelli wrote:

It's proably not a "balance" issue, there isn't much to get out of balance.
There could be a centering spring broken.
With the washer off, try pushing the basket front to back and side to side.
If it doesn't return towards center evenly from all directions, start looking for a broken spring.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Do any still use the old "weight on a cable" system? They were prone to breaking...

re: "weight on a cable"
I was weighting on a cable once. It never came in. I guess I should reorder.
DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Groan...that's as bad as I've been known to do... :)

the legs are adjustable, usually takes a large wrench and laying flat on the floor with a flash light. not really a trick though.
use a level.

Make sure it is level. Check the inside (usually through the back) for broken, worn or missing springs or friction devices/pads. It's possible that some clothing item got stuck under the agitator or under the washing tub.
Bob
1) See if it's level 2) sometimes the rubber suports come undone under the basket. I've seen this once. Had to tip the washing machine back, and reach under to put it back together. It had been run overloaded, which caused the problem.
--

I\'m Christopher A. Young;
and, I approved this message.

Sometimes this is intentional. Young lovers will intentionally put in a rug, then wait for the spin cycle. The girl sits on top of the washer ...................
Need I say more?
I'd give it a good hosing down, too.
Steve

re: Young lovers
I wasn't aware that there was an age limit to this practice.