Bagged a possum...

Well, opossum actually since this is the US. These Havahart traps work but I wish it had worked on the targeted ground hog instead of this 'possum;

What's amusing is that there are supposedly large fines in NJ for relocating wild animals yet the police recommended that we just let it go beside a river. One person at Animal Control suggested that we take it to Mount something or another and let it go. Finally after much calling and complaining they sent someone to dispose of it.

I asked the person who came for it what he was going to do with it and he replied that standard procedure was to take it somewhere (probably Mt. something or another) and just let it go, which he did free of charge and brought back the trap.

Reply to
oparr

If you had one of my huskies, you would not have had to worry about it. She would have finished him off, for some reason she hates opossums.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Or you could have let it go in situ. Opossums are the gypsies of the nocturnal mammal world. They find a food source, hang around up to four days, then move on.

We had one visit not long ago. Gorged itself for three days on the outside-cat's food. Then "adiose y'all."

Opossums, like planet Earth, are "Mostly Harmless."

Reply to
HeyBub

Pretty amusing indeed. Cannot help wondering: wouldn't it be better to let the animal go where it was trapped. It is its home ground after all ;-)

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

It will be back in a few days.....

Reply to
.

So do I. They are huge rats....

Reply to
.

When they aren't "mostly harmless," they can be a problem. I had two once who came into my chicken coop every night and ate a chicken. I would find the chicken heads in the morning. My neighbor said they made good eats, but I was a city boy and they looked too much like large rats for me to eat them.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

It would probably just see the trap as a source of food and keep com>

Reply to
oparr

I was trying to catch a coon in a havahart a couple of years ago and caught a possum. I blocked the door open so it could leave. It hung around a couple of hours and then was gone. The next day it was back in (I had not reset the trap). Again it hung around for a couple of hours and left.

Reply to
Butzmark

How do you know what he did with the po' critter?

I been assuming the following:

a.) They lie, say they will release in good environment. b.) They proceed to exterminate it.

Got conclusive evidence I'm wrong?

Cheers, Al

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1929

Reply to
Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

.@_______.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ever seen a Fisher Cat? Harmless to humans. Curious they but keep distance usually. Was out in yard once near woods edge. Turned around and one was just sitting maybe 10 ft away looking at what I was doing. Probably thinking

Reply to
Al Bundy

You got a pet !!!!! LOL YUCK.... I hate possums, and they carry a disease that can make horses very ill, and can even kill a horse. Since I have horses, when I see a possum, the 22 comes out, and as slow as they move, it's easy to hit them. But killing them is another story. It generally takes 4 to 6 shots. And I still can not believe that last winter I had one run in front of my tractor, then it stopped in place. I purposely drove the tractor over it. The large rear tractor tire went right over it, then I backed up over it again, and went forward again. That's three times it got run over with a large heavy farm tractor. 10 minutes later I went to clean it up, and it was gone. I found it 25 feet away under my car, still alive. It finally died after the 5th shot from my 22.

Reply to
maradcliff