Bad tires---front or back

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?

Reply to
Herb Eneva

I think first of all you shouldn't have tires that bad that you're concerned...

However, the logic is precisely backwards...it's much easier to control if you have both front tires than only one--it is, after all, those that are tied to the steering wheel.

It's also more likely to cause a rollover if a front drops and gouges thus causing a full-bore cranking of the front wheels one direction or t'other at speed.

Put the new ones on the front...

Reply to
dpb

=3D=3D Best tires on front. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Other than using one for a spare and only a spare, I wouldn't!

But what the hell, I am crazy old man who enjoys life.

Reply to
BobR

Why don't you ask in an automotive group?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

You want the best tires in the front where the steering and most of the braking occurs and where the most weight is and if front wheel drive, where the traction is needed.

Reply to
Hugh Jassolle

Buy a casket with lug nuts. Then they can put your tires on it when they bury you. If you're tires are so bad that you worry about where to put them, they need to be REPLACED. Take a survey of your family members. "What color casket would you like?"

Reply to
mike

The correct answer!

I jes had my bad front tires replaced. The tire dealer said the tread was already separating from the core and it was jes a matter of miles before I lost a front tire. Replace them.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.

or read this:

or this:

Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD"

Allow me to rephrase that...

Answer: The tires with the deepest tread go on the rear of the vehicle

- FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD

If the new tires do not have as deep a tread as the old ones then they should go on the front.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Best tires on the front to help with emergency braking.

In emergency braking, weight shifts to the front, providing increased frictional force.

Reply to
HeyBub

Note that all the recommendations mentioned are based on hydroplaning on wet roads. Blowouts and flats at highway speed are a entirely different case. So the decision should be based on your expected conditions. Would drivers in the SW really be concerned with hydroplaning more than tire heat?

Reply to
Red

Bad tires go to the recycling place.

Best tires go on the back, Good or better tires on the front.

I see many answer to put the good tires on the front. That was the common method for many years, but now it is proved that the better tires should go on the rear. I cannot recall where I saw it, but a web site has a video showing why and it does make sense.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Think about what you just said.

As the extra weight shifts to the front, the weight will increase the traction. Therefore, the increased traction compensates for the less tread. I can't shift weight to the rear, so the rear tires have more chance of skidding if they have less tread.

Besides, most drivers can control a skidding front end better than a skidding rear end. Therefore it makes more sense to do our best to keep the rear end from skidding.

Let's keep in mind that we're not talking bald tires vs. brand new. If anyone is driving on unsafe tires, then all bets are off.

Look, it's not just me making this argument. Please find me a modern, credible site that says the best tires go on the front. I know that that used to be the conventional thinking and even I was surprised to see a sign stating that in a tire shop a few months ago.

Times - and wisdom - change.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes I noticed that, but there are also many other sites that say the same thing about rear placement of the best tires and don't mention hydroplaning. Braking traction and skidding, even in good conditions, are stated as the reasons.

See my response to HeyBub about weight transfer. I ain't making this up, I'm just keeping up with the times.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's what I would think, too. The back end had better stay back there. OTOH, a blowout in the front can ruin your day, too. Modern tires don't tend to self-destruct that way, though.

Reply to
krw

Stuff That Can Kill You, is not the place to cut corners. Even if i have to postpone buying something else, I won't skimp on tires or brakes. Engine dying is a PITA, but unlikely to kill you (other than in the middle of a left turn, of course.) I've had a blowout at speed- thankfully on the rear- and it was not fun. I've had brakes crap out without warning- thankfully at low speed, and the handbrake still worked- but again, not fun.

Reply to
aemeijers

No argument. Some don't have the sense they were born with, though.

I've never had a catastrophic blowout. I just had a rear tire go flat quickly at highway speed (hit something in the road) but it wasn't an instantaneous thing. It wasn't a sudden failure, however. I knew what was happening by the time it was flat.

Reply to
krw

=3D=3D Exactly so...we were taught that the best tread should be on the front for winter driving if we couldn't afford four new tires...now we are told otherwise and the tire salesman say get ALL four winter tires to be safe. Since when most cars were rear drive and we were taught how to drive, things have changed. My present vehicle has front wheel drive and it took a while to get used to this. =3D=3D =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

What do I think???? You're NUTS. Particularly on front wheel drive vehicles, you want your best tires on the front. They do the driving, They do roughly 80% of the braking, and they do the steering.

One back wheel will keep the ass end in line if you know how to drive.

Reply to
clare