Bad tires---front or back

Page 1 of 7

Where should you put your worst tires? I say put them on the front. If you have a tire problem you can control a skid best if the problem is with the tire on the front. If the problem is on the rear the skid will be a lot harder to control. What do ya`ll think?
Add pictures here
✖
Herb Eneva wrote:

I think first of all you shouldn't have tires that bad that you're concerned...
However, the logic is precisely backwards...it's much easier to control if you have both front tires than only one--it is, after all, those that are tied to the steering wheel.
It's also more likely to cause a rollover if a front drops and gouges thus causing a full-bore cranking of the front wheels one direction or t'other at speed.
Put the new ones on the front...

✖
On Sep 2, 2:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

== Best tires on front. ==
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 2, 3:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Other than using one for a spare and only a spare, I wouldn't!
But what the hell, I am crazy old man who enjoys life.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:14:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Why don't you ask in an automotive group?
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:14:49 -0400, Herb Eneva wrote:

You want the best tires in the front where the steering and most of the braking occurs and where the most weight is and if front wheel drive, where the traction is needed.
Add pictures here
✖
Herb Eneva wrote:

when they bury you. If you're tires are so bad that you worry about where to put them, they need to be REPLACED. Take a survey of your family members. "What color casket would you like?"
Add pictures here
✖

The correct answer!
I jes had my bad front tires replaced. The tire dealer said the tread was already separating from the core and it was jes a matter of miles before I lost a front tire. Replace them.
nb
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 2, 4:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Watch this video...some people might be surprised.
http://www.dunntire.com/Learning_Center/Video_Library/video_new_tires
or read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52
or this:
http://www.goodyeartires.com/faqs/Care.html#s9
Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD
Add pictures here
✖

re: "Answer: New tires go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD"
Allow me to rephrase that...
Answer: The tires with the deepest tread go on the rear of the vehicle - FWD, RWD, 4WD or AWD
If the new tires do not have as deep a tread as the old ones then they should go on the front.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:31:38 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

As far as hydroplaning, yes it can be an issue with the over-width tires on todays cars if they are bald. But driving in the rain in not the majority of your driving - and hydroplaning conditions occur only a few times a year for a few minutes at a time. A sensible driver just slows down under those conditions. The REST of the time, better traction on the front is more advantageous.
The video showing the hydroplaning shows drivers driving WAY TOO FAST FOR CONDITIONS.
Add pictures here
✖

Note that all the recommendations mentioned are based on hydroplaning on wet roads. Blowouts and flats at highway speed are a entirely different case. So the decision should be based on your expected conditions. Would drivers in the SW really be concerned with hydroplaning more than tire heat?
Add pictures here
✖

Yes I noticed that, but there are also many other sites that say the same thing about rear placement of the best tires and don't mention hydroplaning. Braking traction and skidding, even in good conditions, are stated as the reasons.
See my response to HeyBub about weight transfer. I ain't making this up, I'm just keeping up with the times.
Add pictures here
✖

Only when it snows in Las Vegas.
People here cannot drive when it snows eight inches.
Add pictures here
✖

They canceled work here on the mere prediction of snow.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 23:00:17 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 3, 1:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Same issue; loss of friction due to surface conditions.
Add pictures here
✖

8 inches of snow is a whole lot easier to drive in than 1/2 inch of slop. - assuming you have the required ground clearance.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 16:27:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So WHAT? The issues are *exactly* the same.

...and until you bottom out, the issues with slop are the *same* as hydroplaning.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 00:36:30 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

slop regardless of speed.