Bad Tenants

Page 2 of 5

That's the best idea so far. Good work!
-- Bobby G.
<stuff snipped>

You're joking, I am sure, but you did remind me of why I bought my first gun and moved from my first apartment. It was a 300 pound guy slamming himself against the front door, breaking a hinge, shouting out "I am going to GET you Joe!" (My name's not Joe, FWIW.) It took the police 30 minutes to respond as I wondered how long the door would hold. The next day I bought a .380 Beretta I nicknamed "Sergeant."
I suppose I could advertise via nym on Craigslist that I looked like Jennifer Lopez and I loved having simulated break-in sex . . . nah, that could backfire in any number of horrible ways . . . (-:
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

What could go wrong?
As to one's initial choice of a firearm for personal protection at home, as somewhat of a gun maven, I'd suggest a 16 (or larger) gauge shotgun.
A nice compromise is "The Judge," a revolver that shoots .410 gauge shotgun shells and/or .45 long colt cartridges. Your first shot should be the shotgun shell. That stuns the assailant so he presents a stationary target for the bowling-ball-sized bullet that's next in line.

The Judge is a POS. It has such recoil that most people cannot shoot it safely. It is inaccurate. It is a small hand held cannon for people with short weenies. A real pump shotgun is a good home defense weapon. You don't even have to aim, just point it towards the noise. And a round over their head works wonders. The sound of one being jacked is magnified about 7x in the dark. And shotgun pellets don't travel far and kill someone ten blocks away. Or three rooms away.Even if you severely screw up and hit the ground, they will do damage to several people.
MHO, Ymmv, and all that stuff.
My favorite intimidation weapon is my Ithaca Featherlight sawed off 16 ga. 18.5 inch barrel, of course. Lanyard to the pistol grip, hung around the neck, and easily concealed in a coat. #2 pellets.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

Heh!
A recent news report showed a 5'2" woman (weighing, at most, 110 pounds), got off several shots from a Judge at some would-be robbers. The adrenaline surge turned her into Superwoman. - didn't even flinch.
Still,
A "round over their heads?" You're worried about killing someone "ten blocks away?" Or "three rooms away?"
You sound like a victim waiting to happen.

You can be so stupid sometimes, yet lucid at others. Have you ever been duck hunting, and someone put some shot over your head? The sound gets your attention. And the shot loses velocity really quickly, hitting you with about as much force as a common BB from an air rifle at fifty feet. The "three rooms away" thing was in reference to YOUR mention of using slugs in the .410, which has to be around a 200 grain slug.
Do try to keep up.
Do you actually own any guns?
PS: Victims are at the barrel end of the gun. I'm on the trigger end. And there ARE videos out there of little women getting a new part in their hairline from handgun recoil.
HTH, but I doubt it.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend. Download the book. http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
<stuff snipped>

It's sad that in some states you have to add "and I had no means of escape."
My buddy just had to have one of the Cop .357 four barrel derringer pistols. Apparently it's a close cousin to the Judge in the "better than nothing" category of personal sidearms. Accurate to within a foot from a foot away. The ultimate belly gun for someone with incredibly strong hands. Pulling the trigger rotates the internal hammer to strike each barrel's firing pin in turn, so the action is already stiff. The shape of the pistol is such that it puts your finger at the worst position possible to apply strong pressure.
Like a lot of backup guns, it was just too small. Nice stainless finish but at 20 feet the accuracy was abysmal and nowhere near that of a smaller automatic pistol. It did have an interesting buzzing noise that it made with some types of ammo when the bullet tumbled in flight (not enough barrel length to insure a spinning flight, I would imagine).
He was fortunately able to sell it to another guy who also "had to have" one for almost what he paid for it. His has a disturbing tendency to misfire with the hammer not striking the round hard enough and that made it pretty useless as a backup gun. The guy who bought it was happy to have it, misfires and all because they've stopped making them. Some people swear by them. It's likely to be able to take down a drug crazed 300 pounder, too. Deceptively heavy. He threw his out of a fairly sturdy ankle holster when running at a good clip. The COP .357 owed most of its success to being a prop in Blade Runner. I'll bet it's like The Judge. If it's saved your life in a bad situation, it's your friend for life. Otherwise, get a real gun.
-- Bobby G.
<stuff snipped from the threadlet (threddy?) that's spun off from the tenancy question>

I saw a great snippet on AFHV where a woman fires a big hog leg pistol and the recoil brings the gun up to her forehead and knocks her down. There's much sadder recoil video floating around of the kid who killed himself firing an Uzi at a gun show in New England. Too small a kid for that much recoil. Gun ran up and over and shot him in the head.

The one time I was cornered (but unarmed) I shouted out (to the neighbors looking out their windows) "I have no avenue of retreat and have no choice but to use deadly force" as I reached into my (empty) jacket where a shoulder rig would be. Did the trick. The asshole with the tire iron retreated back into his building (he was irate that I took his parking space - they were open to all, of course, but not according to him!). It probably helped that he knew I had once had a carry permit (which lapsed when I changed jobs - which I don't think he knew). Afterwards, I sent the sheriffs to arrest him for assault (didn't help him that he was smoking crack when they came for him). Assault charges got dropped but the drug charges stuck. I put it in the win column. (-; FWIW, he was the local VP for Common Cause.
All my cop friends are of the same mind as you regarding warning shots, although I have fired them twice in my lifetime with good results when displaying a pistol wasn't convincing enough. They also insisted on killing anyone who has tried to kill you for two reasons. One, to prevent him from trying again and two to make sure there's only one side to the story - yours - in any ensuing civil litigation. A dead creep is worth far less than a crippled one for some reason.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

It's regrettable that you live in a jurisdiction that mandates retreat.
Pressure your legislators for a true "Castle Doctrine" statute that incorporates a "stand your ground" provision. In our last legislative session here in Texas such a statute was incorporated. It says that you may use deadly force to repel an attack, without retreating, at any place you have a right to be: in your home or place of business, on the street, at a movie, riding a bus, anywhere.
The following states have "No duty to retreat" statutes: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah.

Yeah. Blame the Great Crash that we're stuck here. It sucks, but what can you do?

Sadly, the state is moving in the opposite direction and the recent Tuscon shooting is going to accelerate that trend. Still, there *are* some ways around the limitations. Always keep a deadly weapon thoroughly cleansed of DNA and prints handy, for one thing. Make sure to insert it into the hand of your dead attacker (or drop it nearby if there are witnesses!). We have an "apprehended danger" statute that while not as strong as "castle doctrine" does allow you to defend yourself if you can prove that escaping was as likely to get you killed as standing your ground. It's even been used successfully by people without a carry permit, as in having to take an unusually large amount of cash somewhere and having someone try to rob you. CHL's are hard to come by here and now cost about $5,000 and a lot of luck to acquire. Across the river in VA, almost anyone can get a permit to carry. And in nearby DC, no one can get a CHL although the Supreme Court put the kibash on that BS. The Congress got all excited about guns in DC when Rep. Stennis was shot many years ago.

But at least half of those states have enough *other* stuff wrong with them that we wouldn't want to move there.
-- Bobby G.
On 2/3/2011 12:16 AM, Steve B wrote:

Consider who recommended it...
Anyone who has contemplated having the proper tools on hand (or has attended training from a competent instructor) will tell you that a shotgun is what you want. I have a pump shotgun with a 18 1/8" barrel for personal protection in the home.

On 2/3/2011 8:08 AM, George wrote:

i agree here about the 18" shotgun. I do have a Judge, but i bought it for the pasture and snakes. I always grab the pump shotgun when i hear a bump in the night.
--
Steve Barker

I bought a .380 because I was applying for a carry permit and a 16 gauge would have been awkward to carry around in a ankle holster. (-: This was way back in the day when money (for me) was pretty scarce and it was "either-or." I had to make do with a weapon that could be both carried discreetly and used for home defense. A couple of well-placed shots from a .380 will take out a fat man or a thin one unless he's wearing a bulletproof welder's helmet. One or two shots up through the jaw will do it. Very little bone between the barrel and the brain.
But I will agree that a .380 is not an intimidation weapon, it is a weapon of last resort. I wouldn't shoot a 300 pound man in a leather jacket in the center of mass and expect good results. I'd aim for the head and pray he wasn't a relative of Joe the Boss Masseria, the man who could dodge bullets:
http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/en/Joe_Masseria
He eventually ran out of luck and died in a hail of .32 and .38 caliber slugs. As someone else noted, the Mob has historically made very effective use of the .22 caliber round as a murder weapon. It all depends on how you use it.
Ironically, the only time I had to depend on my .380, displaying it was enough. The guy on the other end weaved his head from side to side to try to determine if it was a real gun (it's pretty damn small) and ran away when he concluded it was. It was good for him that he just moved side to side because I had already decided he was close enough to grab it from me and if he moved forward even an inch, I would have shot him. And emptied the clip.
Eventually I graduated from the Beretta to a Browning 9mm HiPower. There's no way that the Browning was anywhere near as conceable as the Beretta, although it had tremendously greater power as well as a 13 round clip v. the Beretta's 7. It had substantially greater intimidation power as well. Now I have a .40 Glock, a Ruger mini 14 and a few others around the house.
I still prefer a pistol to a shotgun for really tight quarters but for carry purposes, a Baby Browning .25 with 7 rounds of steel-tipped ammo is enough gun for most situations. At least for me. As someone else said a while back, a powerful gun that's too big to take everywhere is no better than a small caliber gun than can go anywhere. Escape is still preferable to a shootout, at least for me. The Baby is for when escape is not an option. Even a justifiable shooting is going to cost big bucks, especially if you're arrested as a result. But being arrested is still a lot better than being dead.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Your points are all excellent.
I carry two guns. In addition to my regular concealed gun (a CZ-82), I have a fold-up .22, five-shot, single action revolver that I keep in my back pocket. It's a "Back Up Gun (BUG)". Our local range has BUG matches, and you'd be surprised at the devastation some of these BUGs can cause to a paper target!

I say now, ain't that a commie gun, son? (-:

I've never seen a folding revolver. Got any pix?

I look at it this way. If you're in serious trouble, what would you rather have: Your schvantz in your hand or a .22 "ladies gun?" I'm sure I posted this before, but I had a good cop buddy who kept a 32 in his back pocket and who shot himself in the butt when he took it out somewhat carelessly. He was on rubber donut detail for quite some time. His co-workers NEVER let him forget it, either - they even went so far as to make a paper target out of a photocopy of someone's butt. That was 20 years ago and I'll bet he's still getting grief over it. I'll bet they bring it up at his funeral.
I was lucky to find a mint condition Baby Browning while helping a neighbor buy a .357 Python to use if her ex-husband came around violating her protection order (after bashing her head in with a hammer - only netting him 4 years in prison). Derringers are illegal to sell new in Maryland (AFAIK) but old guns are grandfathered in. Got it for a steal. It had no marks whatsoever - apparently never even been fired. The only problem is that it's SO damn small that if you don't hold it exactly right you'll skin yourself but good. Happened the first time I fired it and I didn't realize I had been cut until I saw the puddle of blood on the range rest/shelf. The damn slide edge is razor sharp and slit me open quite cleanly. My first reaction was "what idiot bled all over the damn shelf!?" (-: Oops!
Same thing happened with the Beretta, but never with the Glock or the Browning HP. They're both hefty enough to keep big hands like mine away from rapidly moving pistol slides.
The only thing bad about BUGs is that you can almost never count on them to work through intimidation alone. Racking the slide back on my .25 makes less noise than flipping a Zippo lighter. The Browning HP has a much more authorative "snap" to it. Of course, for intimidating pistols, nothing beats the SW.500. Useful for putting down rogue grizzly bears, werewolves, elephants, blue whales, dinosaurs, zombies and Mack trucks:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/recreation/1277336
"With its 8-3/8-in. barrel, the overall length of the Model 500 is 15 in. and the empty weight is 4.5 pounds. The cylinder alone is almost 2 in. in diameter and approaches 2.25 in. in length. Thumb the cylinder open and five charge holes await. Each is 1/2 in. in diameter, and the .50-cal. cartridges they hold are almost 2 in. long. Load five of them and the total weight of the handgun climbs to 5 pounds."
Now *that's* intimidation. I guess I won't be strapping that puppy to my ankle, either. I have a bad feeling that some psycho will one day take a .500 to Red Lobster on a Saturday night to see how many people he can shoot through with one bullet. At 2600 ft-lbs, it's gotta to be at least four or five. They used to make it with a short barrel for carrying but it wasn't very popular so they discontinued it.
Maybe next Christmas if I can convice SWMBO that we need another gun. That's gonna be a hard sell, even though she's a retired Army colonel. She's a crack shot with a .45 but it's just a qualification thing with her, not a passion. There's clearly a gender component to gun love. (-:
Now that I've read the specs again, I really, really want one. Just for bragging rights. And for keeping escaped circus animals under control. (Shades of an old Gahan Wilson cartoon.)
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Yes. And a most excellent gun for killing Communists (they like to get up close, as in "in your face").

Sure. Look here: http://www.naaminis.com/lrifle.html
The folding grip I have doesn't have the clip to attach to your belt, but otherwise similar.

Heh! At the range three weeks ago, my Glock 19 fired out of battery. Blew the shit out of both sides of the weapon!
Glock says they'll fix/replace the gun under their lifetime warranty. I've had it with guns made of Bakelite. Soon as this one gets fixed, I'm trading it for about a dozen CZ-82s.
Search for "Glock+Kaboom" and you'll get, oh, 26,000 results. Here's the search with pictures: http://www.google.com/search?q=glock+kaboom&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_en
And no, I didn't get hurt. My current squeeze was firing the weapon, but thanks for your concern.

Why would you be racking the slide on a pistol? That's pure Hollywood.

Love, possibly. Practicality can make a difference though. My current squeeze is a mental health diagnostician at a psychiatric hospital and works the 4:00 p.m. to midnight shift. It didn't take much convincing that a CHL was in her best interests.
In fact, she's going for the mandatory class and range qualifications today. With two master's degrees, she won't have any trouble with the classroom part. Earlier in the week she shot a 225 out of a possible 250 on a qualification simulation.*
-------- * This is not a particularily outstanding score. Our BUG matches often include shooting the course blindfolded! 200+ is typical - out of 50 shots, 20 are at SEVEN FEET against a man-sized target (20 shots are at 75 feet, but we usually turn the targets around inasmuch as your typical bad guy, at that distance, is running away).
And yes, in Texas, you can use deadly force against a squint, mope, 'roided up primate, or any other malefactor who is departing the scene at high speed.

Well, I've got a commie starlight scope for my Ruger and it's pretty serviceable except the rubberized coating is now as sticky as if it had been honey-coated. Cheap too, just like the CZ's. No auto-shutter so one aim at a bright light will likely kill it, but so far, so good.

Looks sweet but it's probably illegal in Maryland unless I come across a used one. What f''ing sense such a law makes is beyond me, but that's what my gunsmith said. Of course, he also said the S&W .500 was just an urban legend about two hours after I had handled one at a gun store up the road. Since I've never seen small guns and derringers new in the display cases, I assume he's right on this one.
Maryland has a "bullet database" which means all new guns sold have to be test fired and a bullet sent to the State Police for logging. AFAIK, not one prosecution has resulted from the massive and intrusive effort. It just means remembering to use an older gun or a shotgun if you're going to kill someone. (-: In a case we had here a while back, someone killed a two people with bullets that had no identifying barrel marks. Turned out they were firing 9mm shells from a .40 gun and the bullet didn't contact the barrel completely, although it clearly had enough oomph to be lethal. Someday I will build a ballistic water tank to check it out.

Gack! That's certainly not what you want to have happen in a showdown with a psycho. How old is the Glock? I know they were plagued with problems early on but I thought they had eliminated them. From what I recall, Glock blamed a lot of KB's on reloaded and/or non-jacketed ammo and lead buildup in the barrel leading to overpressuring. It's why both ranges I use will ban shooters that bring their own ammo (50 year old Korean War era surplus was what one guy tried to sneak in!) What were you running through it?

(-: I have to admit that the Glock and the Taurus (both with a lot of plastic) are a hell of a lot easier to lug around than the all steel and wood Browning HP. I'll have to weigh them all later today when I clean them all.

Yes, I've seen exploded Glocks but the most impressive display I've seen is at the local skeet range where they have a display board with the sawed off ends of shotgun barrels that were fired after the shooter managed to plug them with dirt. Unless you see it close up, it's hard to believe that hardened steel would shatter, bulge, ribbon and bend that way. There are at least 20 barrels ends on the board now. A testament to stupidity.

Jeez. If that happened to my wife I could never get her to the range again.

The HP is single action and after my bud shot himself in the ass, I got hinky about keeping a round in the chamber. Thus the need to rack it. Now I trust it enough to keep one in the chamber and the hammer back with the safety on.

A lot of women are preprogrammed to fear firearms but once you get some of them down to the range and they do well, that reticence tends to disappear.

The only problem I see with that is that some patients now know where to get a gun. I hope she's "strapped" and doesn't keep it in her purse.

Here in Maryland, if someone shoots a fleeing perp (even a cop!) bad things happen. It's already happened twice to Baltimore cops. There was even a big stink raised because a cop shot someone armed with a Bowie knife as if it were a foul in a jousting contest instead of a life or death situation. People are stupid and this state attracts them like a magnet.

That's definitely not the rule here. We have lots of wealthy enclaves where people lead lives so sheltered that they have no idea what it's like on the streets. Five years as a police reporter gave me the typical cop's outlook on the world: "Trust no one and you'll stay among the living." As a reporter I mostly interacted with the "white shirts" (Lt's and above) and we would always laugh at how green and naive rookies could be for the first few years. That changed after enough exposure to the scum of the earth or when they got their first serious service wound. That's when they grew eyes in the back of their heads.
-- Bobby G.

Under the chin. The jawbone is shaped so that a gun barrel will "center" itself if pushed hard enough. Also a good place to stick an icepick or a long-bladed cabinet screwdriver. (AHR topicality!) (-: There was a mobster whose name escapes me (something to do with tooth) who managed to avoid being murdered by deflecting a .22 round with his front tooth. So yes, you have to know where to put it. The secret to so many things in life.
I was reading last night about gangster Roy DeMeo who perfected what became known as the "Gemini" system for mob hits. He would invite the victim to his nightclub, the Gemini, which was connected to an apartment building in the back. As they walked into the apartment, someone would be waiting with a .22 and would shoot the victim in the head. They immediately wrapped his head in a towel and then stuck a kitchen knife in the victim's heart to stop the blood from gushing. Then they would dismember the victim in a kiddie pool and take the various pieces to restaurant garbage dumpsters. Some estimates place the number of people who were completely "disappeared" at close to 200. But as HeyBub has said, they were mostly other gangsters whom not many people missed. IIRC, it was Paul Castellano who eventually put DeMeo through his own murder assembly line. Poetic justice. A short while later, Castellano was gunned down by a small army of Gotti button men outside of Spark's Steakhouse in NYC at the height of the Christmas shopping season. As you might expect, "Big Paulie got shot, but nobody seen nothing!"
-- Bobby G.
On 2/1/2011 9:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:

<snip>
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dakota-Alert-DVR-01-IR-Motion-Detector-Video-Camera-NEW-/110586366626?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bf760aa2
caveats apply.
<snip>
You can't do that. Don't tamper with electric or gas or water. I like cutting off the cable idea though. Also, non paying tenants will not move because of no heat or electric, they will call the housing authority.
Don't let your tenants keep getting away with bad behaviour. If it violates your terms of lease, throw them out sooner than later. Once you cut them slack they will take advantage. Be nice, but very firm.
You may wish to find some company to manage the property for you. They know the ropes and since you will be far away, double so.
Jeff

I owned and rented a 2 apartment home in the GTA. The basement tenants complained of water dripping from the ceiling in the livingroom area. This was a constant issue for him - not a one off. Upon investigation the east indian family renting upstairs had a tarp on the floor, 2 swimming pools filled which contained rice patties. As well in one of the bedrooms there was what I can only consider to be a commercial deep fryer - no vent / ceiling driipping with grease. This rental agreement indicated 3 people (wife, husband and kid). In one bedroom there was a 3 three teir x 2 of hammocks. Soon after that I got out of the rental business.