bad roof repair

This is my in-law's home. Had a bad repair job about 10 months ago. Roof leaked after the first rain. Company refused to answer phone or when they did, lied about someone showing up to repair it. I put a tarp over it and kept calling. Finally, roofer shows up with an adjuster who said he could get them a new roof. They went along with this plan. Never fixed the roof and now the city says to remove the tarp. I was able to fix one area but the other is under a solar panel and there is a small drip when running a hose over the area. My question is can I put a drip pan to catch this water? I have access because the original leak destroyed a 2 x 4 piece of the ceiling. I can actually see the small drip. Would this water evaporate? We are in Miami. I'm looking for a temporary solution so I can cover up ceiling because a/c is going thru the roof. I told my mother-in-law I was going to take control and contact better business and do what I have to do to get this problem fixed.

A little extra info:

  1. Roofer never got permit......said didn't need one...........City requires one.
  2. Contract says polyfoam and they used concrete to replace the tiles.
  3. Adjuster's company name is very similar to roofers
  4. My in-laws are 89 and 85 .....need I say more?

I'd appreciate any help in getting this problem solved.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

You have two problems. One is legal. I suggest that you contact a legal professional to see what recourse you may have there. The good news is that many locations offer free legal assistance for those in these kind of situations. Check around at local senior citizen groups to see what may be available.

The second problem is the roof. Water is very damaging to buildings. "can I put a drip pan to catch this water?" Yes, but it will likely mean additional damage, You need to fix the leak not catch the water.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I suspect that if he tampers with the job; the roofer, will spin the problem and imply the OP caused damage. It is Miami and the crooks talk fast and funny.

Reply to
Oren

Who was responsible for the permits, stated in the contract?

Is that a breach of contract (not a lawyer)?

I can see it now! HoseA's and HoseB's roofing and adjustment company.

No! This is what really gets my goat. Around here, a recent scam on the elderly is to seal concrete roofing tiles from UV rays. WTF? The tiles have been in the Mohave desert for years and years.....

Reply to
Oren