Bad month for appliances

At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat took care of that.
Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225 and major labor so I replaced it.
Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday. Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered, installed, etc.
On 10/26/2013 7:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds like more than your share of troubles. I hope the replacement appliances last for many years, and give you good service.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.
On 10/27/2013 8:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

door. He said to me one day, "this is probably going to be the last truck I own" as he was working under the hood. He was right, died a couple weeks later.
We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.
On 10/27/2013 10:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/27/2013 9:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

60 is the new 40 or 50, I don't remember which, um.....ah....um. What were we just talking about? o_O
TDD

I'm sure I'll never be that bad. Knock wood. <knock, knock.> Sister! Is someone at the door?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/29/2013 10:08 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sandy and Lexie let us know right away when someone is at the door. ^_^
TDD
On 10/26/2013 6:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.
"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."
<stuff snipped>

Pools are very much like boats. Two jokes come to mind:
What are the two happiest days in a boat owner's life?
The day he buys it and the day he sells it.
What does the word boat mean?
Bust Out Another Thousand.
--
Bobby G.

On 10/28/2013 12:24 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I estimate that it's about $3000 per year for chemicals, electricity, water, amortization of equipment, and amortization for resurfacing every 20 years. And that doesn't include water heating. And that's for a pool that's only usable six months each year. That's about the same as a family membership at the local YMCA or JCC/CCC.
<stuff snipped>

At least for the money you don't have to splash around in someone else's waste. I wish I could recall where I read the article that reviewed tests of community pool water for contaminants.
Wait, here it is!
http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2013/p0516-pool-contamination.html
and here, too:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/17/health/cdc-pool-water/
After these studies came out the wife and I had a serious discussion about getting one of those small endless pools installed.
The CNN report:
<<Chlorine is supposed to take care of most of the microbes floating around in pools, but human waste, it seems, is stubbornly resistant to being sanitized. That's the conclusion of a group of researchers from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), who collected water samples from 161 filters in public and private swimming pools, as well as water parks in Atlanta last summer.
What they found trapped in those filters was enough to make swimmers think twice before logging their laps. More than half of the samples were contaminated with E. coli, which the investigators say comes from one primary source -- swimmers pooping in the pool . . . When a pool is properly chlorinated, however, bacteria like E. coli should be killed off, since proper pH levels typically take care of the issue. According to the CDC, it takes less than a minute for E. coli to be inactivated if chlorine levels are adequate, about 16 minutes to control Hepatitis A virus, about 45 minutes to kill off the Giardia parasite and over 10 days for a Crypto parasite.
But just one diarrhea accident can cause an infection for anyone who gets a mouth full of pool water. Fortunately, the testing did not reveal strains of E. coli 0157, a particularly virulent form of the bacteria that was responsible for several outbreaks, and deaths, from serious foodborne illnesses.>> Gack! I sort of knew that people always peed in pools, but pooping too?
--

Bobby G.

On 10/27/2013 3:01 PM, gonjah wrote:

Good description of a pool!
I went through that a while back. Also redid the pool plumbing, put in a new filter (the old filter was way too small) and redid the decking. The only consolation was that we bought the house knowing full well that the pool needed renovation plus the amount of repairs needed in general caused there to be only one other bidder on the house at a time when most houses were in bidding wars. Also, in California it's better to buy a fixer-upper and do repairs than to buy a house that's been properly maintained and updated, at least in terms of property taxes.
The previous owner was a software engineer and I'm still finding weird things that he did.
In my area there's not a lot of pools so there's not a lot of competition in terms of pool renovations. My brother in Florida pays a lot less for pool replastering. I think he paid $2K for replastering the last time he did it, whereas regular replastering where I am is $8K. We opted for Pebbletec which was even more, but supposedly it lasts much longer--we'll see.
On Sat 26 Oct 2013 04:36:40p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Why did I think you had purchased a new HE Maytag washer and dryer?

On 06 Nov 2013 04:55:02 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

I did buy the washer. The dryer is not the matching HE, but it was replaced just over a year ago and is OK.
So far, the Maytag washer is doing a fine job. KA dishwasher is too.
On Wed 06 Nov 2013 03:52:59a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

When we moved into our present home we bought a Kenmore Elite (made by LG) top-loading HE washer and matching dryer. We liked the dryer, but the washer was a nightmare. Nothing ever broke, but you couldn't actually select your preferred water temperature as it was controlled by the cycle you chose, and you could _never_ get really hot water on any cycle except "sanitize". The drum went off balance constantly even with a very well balanced load. Lastly, it really didn't wash all that well.
About three months ago we decided to bite the bullet and replace the pair, giving the old units to my partner's son. We were leary of buying another top-loading HE washer because of our experience, so bought a Maytag set of front loaders set on pedastals. The Maytags are amazing! We also love all of the bells and whistles! :-)

My mother had a Maytag washer and we've had them too. Every one lasted longer than what is average so I'm sticking with them. I think you and I are the same age, so this may be our last purchase if they continue their good reputation.