Bad month for appliances

At least I'm keeping the economy stimulated. I'm getting rady to start a bathroom model and just bought all thr materials. Meantime, the second fridge was freezing stuff and would not shut off. New thermostat took care of that.

Washing machine started sounding like a jet turbine. Parts about $225 and major labor so I replaced it.

Dishwasher getting old (15 years) and not draining properly. Checked drain hose but the pump seems to be wearing out. Given the age, it could be money spent for a short return. New one will be here Thursday. Bought from a local dealer for $150 less than Lowes. Delivered, installed, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds like more than your share of troubles. I hope the replacement appliances last for many years, and give you good service.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

At my age, I'm thinking they may be the last appliances I ever buy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's possible. I remember Ernie, Senior, next door. He said to me one day, "this is probably going to be the last truck I own" as he was working under the hood. He was right, died a couple weeks later.

We haven't met in person, but I've enjoyed your wisdom on Usenet. I'll miss you, when you go.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks. I'm hoping the appliances last 20 years. I'm 68.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My G-grand father died at 93.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My aging pool is like that. Just shelled out $10k for resurfacing and tile.

"The hole in my backyard I throw my money in."

Reply to
gonjah

Pools are very much like boats. Two jokes come to mind:

What are the two happiest days in a boat owner's life?

The day he buys it and the day he sells it.

What does the word boat mean?

Bust Out Another Thousand.

Reply to
Robert Green

60 is the new 40 or 50, I don't remember which, um.....ah....um. What were we just talking about? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm sure I'll never be that bad. Knock wood.

Sister! Is someone at the door?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good description of a pool!

I went through that a while back. Also redid the pool plumbing, put in a new filter (the old filter was way too small) and redid the decking. The only consolation was that we bought the house knowing full well that the pool needed renovation plus the amount of repairs needed in general caused there to be only one other bidder on the house at a time when most houses were in bidding wars. Also, in California it's better to buy a fixer-upper and do repairs than to buy a house that's been properly maintained and updated, at least in terms of property taxes.

The previous owner was a software engineer and I'm still finding weird things that he did.

In my area there's not a lot of pools so there's not a lot of competition in terms of pool renovations. My brother in Florida pays a lot less for pool replastering. I think he paid $2K for replastering the last time he did it, whereas regular replastering where I am is $8K. We opted for Pebbletec which was even more, but supposedly it lasts much longer--we'll see.

Reply to
sms

I estimate that it's about $3000 per year for chemicals, electricity, water, amortization of equipment, and amortization for resurfacing every

20 years. And that doesn't include water heating. And that's for a pool that's only usable six months each year. That's about the same as a family membership at the local YMCA or JCC/CCC.
Reply to
sms

On Sat 26 Oct 2013 04:36:40p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Why did I think you had purchased a new HE Maytag washer and dryer?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I did buy the washer. The dryer is not the matching HE, but it was replaced just over a year ago and is OK.

So far, the Maytag washer is doing a fine job. KA dishwasher is too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sandy and Lexie let us know right away when someone is at the door. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Wed 06 Nov 2013 03:52:59a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

When we moved into our present home we bought a Kenmore Elite (made by LG) top-loading HE washer and matching dryer. We liked the dryer, but the washer was a nightmare. Nothing ever broke, but you couldn't actually select your preferred water temperature as it was controlled by the cycle you chose, and you could _never_ get really hot water on any cycle except "sanitize". The drum went off balance constantly even with a very well balanced load. Lastly, it really didn't wash all that well.

About three months ago we decided to bite the bullet and replace the pair, giving the old units to my partner's son. We were leary of buying another top-loading HE washer because of our experience, so bought a Maytag set of front loaders set on pedastals. The Maytags are amazing! We also love all of the bells and whistles! :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

My mother had a Maytag washer and we've had them too. Every one lasted longer than what is average so I'm sticking with them. I think you and I are the same age, so this may be our last purchase if they continue their good reputation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At least for the money you don't have to splash around in someone else's waste. I wish I could recall where I read the article that reviewed tests of community pool water for contaminants.

Wait, here it is!

and here, too:

After these studies came out the wife and I had a serious discussion about getting one of those small endless pools installed.

The CNN report:

Reply to
Robert Green