Bad GFI outlet

I have an outlet by the kitchen sink with a GFI sticker on the coverplate. Apperently, turning on our food processor last week caused it to trip. The problem is that it is seems to be a standard type of outlet, with no visible reset button. The one by the vanity in a nearby bathroom is the same, tho it still works. I can't find any reset device in the basement or at the breaker box. I tried throwing and reseting the kitchen outlet breaker at the main box, but it did nothing. Any input would be appreciated. Larry

Reply to
Motorman

Maybe check the fridge outlet.

Reply to
Matt

Sorry, that I don't have a better solution, since I'm not in your kitchen.

Check around, look inside the appliance garage(I have a gfci in there that feeds other recpts). Might want to check in the cabinets, if you have under counter appliances.

Just a little tip, if your house is up to code, the outlet you are talking about should only be associated with outlets in the food areas. So, you shouldn't have far to go. Remember to check the dinning room, and food pantry too.

Side note: My bathroom(on secon floor) receptacle tripped, after a while I found it in the basement. The single required gfci recpt in the basement also fed the master bath receptacle. Go figure...

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

Reply to
nospambob

Time to go on a hunt, mate.

Somewhere there is a GFI feeding that outlet; more than likely it's in the kitchen somewhere.

Reply to
Matt

Nobody has suggested it yet so I will. Check any outdoor outlets. The patio etc. Especially if it backs up to the kitchen.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Reply to
Phil Munro

Yes there is likely a GFCI outlet upstream of the one that doesn't work that has tripped. GFCI outlets can be installed so as to protect anything plugged into themselves and/or other outlets on that circuit run that are 'downstream' of the GFCI. GFCI are often not recommended for items (possibly fridges) that may have a momentary and unbalanced load when the compressor cuts in!

Reply to
Terry

Maybe since that isn't to code. But then, the NEC is just a book of suggestions, atleast that's what the electrician's who put my house together thought. :-p

later,

tom @

The Real Tom