Bad ballast?

I think that's the right term. :) I bought a brand new shop light, put in new bulbs and they only stayed lit for a few minutes. I took the bulbs out, put them back in, and they came back on and stayed on for... a few minutes. The problem is with the shop light fixture, right?
I hate returning stuff. ugh.
The cheap ones need to hang from chains for cooling.

I admit it is a cheap one (just for overwintering plants) and it is hanging from a chain.
The problem is more likely a junk fixture. Some big box stores sell these things with integral ballasts, that are really worthless. If it's a two light four foot fixture you want, get a 2/32 watt with a standard electronic, replaceable ballast. It should cost around $40 and you'll be happy

Okay, thanks. I'm off to find something besides WallyWorld lights.

That explains it right there. The words Wal-Mart and quality cannot co-exist in the same sentence. You truly get what you pay for there.
Go to the local electrical supply shops and get the light(s) from them.