Bad ballast?

I think that's the right term. :) I bought a brand new shop light, put in new bulbs and they only stayed lit for a few minutes. I took the bulbs out, put them back in, and they came back on and stayed on for... a few minutes. The problem is with the shop light fixture, right?

I hate returning stuff. ugh.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

The cheap ones need to hang from chains for cooling.

"FragileWarrior" new bulbs and they only stayed lit for a few minutes. I took the bulbs

Reply to
Pat

The problem is more likely a junk fixture. Some big box stores sell these things with integral ballasts, that are really worthless. If it's a two light four foot fixture you want, get a 2/32 watt with a standard electronic, replaceable ballast. It should cost around $40 and you'll be happy

"FragileWarrior" new bulbs and they only stayed lit for a few minutes. I took the bulbs

Reply to
RBM

"Pat" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I admit it is a cheap one (just for overwintering plants) and it is hanging from a chain.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"RBM" wrote in news:_DNTg.8569$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe08.lga:

Okay, thanks. I'm off to find something besides WallyWorld lights.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"FragileWarrior" > standard electronic, replaceable ballast. It should cost around $40

That explains it right there. The words Wal-Mart and quality cannot co-exist in the same sentence. You truly get what you pay for there.

Go to the local electrical supply shops and get the light(s) from them.

Reply to
Bob M.