Backyard Wildlife

Do you have bird feeders in your backyard? Have any of the birds become tame enough for you to handle or do they eat out of your hand? Check out these birds hanginging around this house in Australia. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Bird Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

I've had chicadees light on my hand - but it was at a popular bird-watching location, east of Toronto - they had been "trained". Up in Algonquin Park - the Whisky Jacks < grey jays > can be coaxed to eat from your hand - not sure if they have been "trained" or not. More surprisingly - one time we had a whisky jack who would land on the rim of the frying pan - on the campfire - and steal bacon ! I don't know how he didn't burn his feet. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I saw, maybe twice, very big black birds eating a dead deer this morning. But no people very near by.

But last Sunday I was in Pa. south of McConnellsburg, and the deer were 400 feet from me with an 80 foot deep valley/ravine in between. The deer watched me driving by for 10 seconds and then they ran in the other direction. OTOH in suburban Baltimore, I've seen them stand 2 feet from the curb while my car is stopped for a light next to them. And they just keep eating.

Reply to
Micky

Micky posted for all of us...

Turkey buzzards-carrion eaters.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Some call them buzzards , but they're actually vultures . There are 2 kinds , Turkey Vultures and Black Vultures . TV's are bigger and have the red on their head . We have both kinds here ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

They didnb't have red, but i don't remember grey heads either. Of course I was trying to keep my eye on the road. It's been 3 days. If I went back, the deer has probably been eaten, maybe.

Reply to
Micky